Neighbor with bright light

Our local building code requires shades on lights above a certain level. With a little luck, you code does, too. Yeh, some folks don't allow anyone in the neighborhood to enjoy the night.

Reply to
Norminn

Another thought that might meet with approval from the neighbor would be to install a motion sensor - not my choice - so she KNOWS when someone/something is in the yard. If you have a lot of critters around, the light would be on a good deal. I used to have a neighborhood possom that made the identical sound of a person walking through the yard. Used to spook me until the light came on - then he would stand up and peer in the window of the Florida room at me :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Nobody's yet mentioned paintballs. How about some nice opaque color?

Again, don't make the firing-source obvious.

barry

Plant some ivy at the base of the pole. That light will be covered in green within a month.

Reply to
Mike

HeyBub wrote There is no law against being a "suspect," nor can you be arrested for "suspicion" of anything.

====================

Sure, tell that to the Duke Lacrosse team.

Reply to
Gideon

You are always arrested on "suspicion" of comitting a crime. It's suspicion until you get convicted. You can also be arrested for "Intention". They read you mind and just know you are thinking about doing something illegal.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Create a "black hole" at the edge of your property to absorb the light.

Reply to
Mys Terry

I had sort of the same thing with a very bright light on the side of a building pointed toward my backyard, so you felt like you were in a prison yard or something. I complained to no avail, so I took it to the city council and it was corrected shortly after that. If nothing else works, try that. Good luck.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

"Mike" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Or kudzu!

Reply to
PJ Swanson

You need to install a high-power dark :)

Reply to
unknown

I had a HPS light on a pole in the alley right behind my backyard when I bought my house a few years back. Luckily it was installed at the request of the seller so all I had to do call the electric co and have them shut it off. IIRC it cost around $6-8/mo to rent.

Like you, I despised that light.

I would imagine that if you express your dissatisfaction to the power company and/or code enforcement it would get shut it off.

The old lady should install motion sensor lights in her backyard to be considerate of her neighbors. Matt Mika

Reply to
MattMika

Buy a nervous dog, and train it to bark and howl at the light.

Terry & Skipper, Clearlake Texas

Reply to
Mys Terry

A $20 bb gun will do the trick as well.

Reply to
sonofabitchsky

unknown wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My neighbor has a motion detector on his bright light. It came in handy once when my daughter noticed it came on late at night about 2am. She saw some people in their driveway who shouldn't have been there and called the police. They were looking into the neighbor's car. The police caught and arrested the creeps.

Could you persuade the lady to get one that's motion activated?

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Unless they are truely the type filled with paint, most paintballs will not work. Stuff is soluable and biodegradeable. Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+

Gary Dyrkacz

BB gun

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Doubtful. An HID lamp is not likely to increase output with a higher wattage bulb. The power limiting effects of the ballast won't allow for that by much. More likely the HID lamp will never come up to operating temp and overheat the ballast. burning it out. Mercury bulbs can run for many years past their lifetime at greatly reduced output. When the new bulb got installed, it seems to be very bright.

In response to the other post about shooting the light. For one thing it is unlawful and second, the outer envelope of the lamp may break while the inner arc tube remains intact. Without the outer envelope to block harmful UV radiation, the mercury lamp is a powerful emitter of UV that can damage the eyes and skin.

A metal shield can be fitted to the lamp to block out much of the light in certain directions.

John

Reply to
JohnR66

Mys Terry wrote You are always arrested on "suspicion" of comitting a crime. It's suspicion until you get convicted. You can also be arrested for "Intention". They read you mind and just know you are thinking about doing something illegal.

============

I wasn't arrested, but I was once pulled over by a cop who said that he "knew" that I was going to roll through a stop sign if I hadn't seen him nearby.

I politely asked if I had actually broken any laws. "No, not really."

I politely asked how he "knew" that I intended to break the law. "I just know from experience."

What a freakin' dumb ass.

Reply to
Gideon

Many years ago, a friend of mine was being followed around a department store by a security person, because he "didn't look right". In other words, it was the 1960's and he had long hair and a beard. My friend decided to respond by playfully ducking behind counters in an exaggerated manner, and generally playing cat and mouse with the jerk. The end of the story, however, was that he was arrested for "Intent to shoplift". He was convicted and had to pay a fine. I think he got a term of probation as well.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Reply to
Buster Chops