Neighbor Problem

clipped

Somewhat true where I live. You can trim what is over your land UNLESS the tree is owned by the city. Also, cannot mutilate trees (cut all limbs from one side, etc). I can see why there are such laws. For every law, there must have been at least one a--hole :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I don't know - that plan didn't work out so well for the Rolling Stones at Altamont.

Reply to
JRanieri

Wow, how true. I never thought of it that way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Interesting thread, and SAD Smitty has such a neighbor. I agree with the above comment however. You have the right to remove limbs that obstruct YOUR use of YOUR land, but you do not have the right to cut limbs just because they overhang your property. If it were me and I had been threatened with a suit by the neighbor, I would first tell the police of the incident and ask them to explain the law to your neighbor. Then I would trim what was necessary and stay on your own property while doing so.

It does not sound like Smitty wants to destroy the tree, but just to be able to use his land. Trees are an asset even when they exist on a neighbors property.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

=======================\\/========================

To be honest that is exactly how I would handle this situation....

IF I were a thinking man I may as my lawyer for his opinion...BUT in either case those branches would be trimmed .. or ...I would become creative ...lol

If he tried to sue me I would me laughing my ass off

Bob Griffiths Thanking the good lord that I have excellent neighbors

Reply to
Bob G.

Since your neighbor has started woofing, I would suggest you contact the city, or local government (not the police) and ask for their help. In my town, I'm pretty sure they would look at the situation, then they would advise your neighbor to trim his tree. If he refused, the city would trim it and bill him.

While it is common in the US that you have the right to trim anything that overhangs your property, there are more and more places that place restrictions on cutting trees (usually on removing them), so I think involvement of the local authorities would protect you.

After he trims the tree, thank him. No use in letting bad feelings fester.

By the way, its almost certa> One of my neighbors has a giant maple tree overhanging my side yard. At 72

Reply to
William Brown

Threatening to sue is usually the first response of the powerless. Anyone truly intending to sue would just keep quiet and let a letter from their attorney do all the threatening they need.

I recently was threatened with a lawsuit for terminating an hourly contractor prior to the entire job being finished. I let him rant on the phone for a bit and told him that I didn't think a lawsuit was really in his best interest but that if he insisted on it that he should simply have his attorney contact me. Haven't heard from him since.

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

This is Turtle.

Rolling Stones ask the others party to come over to deal with. have a Party but don't ask the other party to come over on your property.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

In CA not only can you trim a neighbor's tree branches and roots that encroach onto your property back to the property line, in some instances you can recover the trimming costs and/ or costs for repair of damages caused by that neighbor's tree branches or roots. Providing you do not destroy the tree(s).

Reply to
G Henslee

Try putting a pole in that touches the overhanging branch. Then plant Kudzu at the base of the pole.

Reply to
Nick Hull

You'll have to check local laws on this. I bet you can legally trim any branches that get in your face while mowing, as long as the cut is directly over your property. I have done this myself. And yes, it is annoying for branches to hit the face.

Reply to
Phisherman

While you are trimming the branches you can accidentally drop the saw and maybe it'll chop off the neighbor's head.

Reply to
hektik8

You should have gnawed the stump so it looked like a beaver did it.

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

Since the neighbor "won't" allow you to trim the branches on your side of the fence, explain that if you are harmed by his tree that you will sue him for your injuries.

Reply to
LFR

One action you should take is to take as many photographs as you can to document the problem and also to record your afterwards (trimming) solution Take some photos showing how the overhang is interfering with your mowing, creating debris, too much shade, etc. That saves a lot of I said - you said arguments when it comes to a complaint before an arbitrator or judge. I love digital cameras.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Since the neighbor "won't" allow you to trim the branches on your side of the fence, explain that if you are harmed by his tree that you will sue him for your injuries.

Reply to
JD

I thought it was mostly gals who got upset over "tone of voice". Most guys tend to be rather literal about things.

I'd suggest if you don't like his approach, to tell him that in person. Politely. See if perhaps he can change his approach.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sheesh! Why is that guy (Smitty's neighbor) freaking out over some branches? Some people...

I've got exactly the opposite situation: the offending trees are on my property, and the branches overhang my neighbor's lawn. She's an elderly widow. When the branches cause trouble, she tells me and I trim them. No big deal.

Trees have strange rules, as others have pointed out. Here's a couple of examples from NJ:

A neighbors tree fell during a storm, crossing the property line. No damage was done. After contacting insurance companies, the parties learned that they were each responsible for the part of the tree that was lying on their respective properties. However, since no damage was done, no insurance claim would be paid.

During another storm, my one of my neighbors trees fell across my property line and smooshed my fence. My insurance company paid to clean up the part of the tree on my side of line (they left me all of the stuff good for firewood), and repaired my fence. My neighbors insurance company didn't pay anything, because there was no damage on his side. I did help him cut tree into firewood.

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

Hi, I have a feeling, you two are just about same kind. You need to look after your own tree. Your tree branches are trespassing into his yard. That ain't good unless he does not mind. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If a man cuts the branches of a neighbor's tree that overhang his yard, and the neighbor is not there to hear it, will he make any noise?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman