Need to replace Electric Baseboard Heating Units & Replacement Windows

Have you not been around to many furnaces in the last 10+ years?

A plugged flue = NO HEAT

Reply to
<kjpro

Told ya he was a smart man. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

Here ya go.... the facts.

The American Standard - UL2034

This standard was implemented in the early nineties to cover products being supplied and used in the American (and North American) markets. It has also been subject to a number of amendments over the years (1997,1998, 2001).

Products officially approved to this standard must be clearly marked with the UL symbol (perhaps add picture of UL symbol to web page).

Main alarm requirements :

a.. at 30ppm CO, the alarm must not activate for at least 8 hours b.. at 70ppm CO, the alarm must not activate before 60 minutes but must activate before 240 minutes c.. at 150ppm CO, the alarm must not activate before 10 minutes but must activate before 50 minutes d.. at 400ppm CO, the alarm must not activate before 4 minutes but must activate before 15 minutes

Reply to
<kjpro

Here&#39;s some more info...

HOW MUCH CARBON MONOXIDE IS TOO MUCH

Always check with The Authority Having Jurisdiction. Know who is in the building being tested.

ASHRAE 62-89 (American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers)

009 PPM The maximum allowable concentration for continuous (24 hr) exposure. ASHRAE states the ventilation air shall meet the out door air standard referenced to EPA and 9 PPM.

EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)

009 PPM This level or lower as an ambient air quality goal averaged over eight (8) hours. This outdoor air standard is exceeded in many urban areas due to auto exhaust.

Common Action Level

009 PPM or more above what you measured outside is the most common action level in the U.S. by local Authorities of Jurisdiction for further testing. Some jurisdictions require fuel shut-off until problem diagnosed and corrected.

BPI (Building Performance Institute)

10 to 35 PPM is a marginal level in reference to potential or foreseeable problems in some situations. Occupants should be advised of a potential health hazard to infants and small children, elderly people and persons suffering from respiratory or heart problems. If building has attached auto garage, document CO levels in garage. Accept this level as normal where unvented appliances are in use. These levels are unacceptable when originated from vented appliances.

36 to 99 PPM is excessive. Medical alert. Conditions must be mitigated. Ventilation required. Always test garage space. Individually test combustion appliances. All repairs are to be conducted by a qualified technician with proper test equipment.

100 to 200 PPM is dangerous (and is a common building evacuation standard.) Medical alert conditions exist. It is suggested that occupant health inquiries be conducted. It is advisable that someone else transports them to seek medical help; 15 minute maximum exposure upon discovery. Report incident to Authority of Jurisdiction.

ACGIH (American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienist)

25 ppm - maximum 8 hour TWA (Time Weighted Average)

EPA

035 PPM This level or lower as an ambient air quality goal averaged over one (1) hour.

Common Action Level

035 PPM is also a common action level for fire department or other emergency responders to utilize self contained breathing apparatus when occupation of that environment is to be sustained by that responder.

035 PPM or less averaged over an 8 hour day within that workday is a common goal of specific States Occupational Health and Safety Administration or similar state entity. This is also a common goal of many employers despite higher regulated concentration standards and may require the measurement of several simultaneous reference locations.

OSHA (Occupational Health and Safety Administration)

050 PPM Maximum allowable concentration for a workers continuous exposure in any eight (8) hour period. This 8-hour average requires continuous measurement and accurate reporting in the workplace.

Any increase in PPM from outside to inside warrants further source investigation and is documented, reported and even fixed is common in jurisdictions where a fuel supplier also is considered an Authority of Jurisdiction. This standard is also common to some federally and state funded weatherization programs as well as protocol to some private companies engaged in carbon monoxide testing.

Every home or building where people live, work or play should have a carbon monoxide alarm detector. Please install one that meets the needs of all people. Read the instructions and install them to the manufacturers specifications. Please note the health advisory listed on all alarm packages.

Reply to
<kjpro

and

Now it sounds like they can "display," vs alarm...

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

"AKS" wrote

That&#39;s because you can barely read or write.

Bullshit! Tell us what appliances absorb CO to make a room safe! From the look of your posts, I&#39;d say your suffering from oxygen deprivation right now! Breathe deeper...

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

wrote

Some people will never get it, KJ. You&#39;re right about CO. Co is a result of incomplete combustion. Period! ANY GAS BURNING APPLIANCE can experience incomplete combustion for a variety of reasons. Having a non-vented natural gas or propane burning appliance inside a dwelling is dangerous. Those who believe otherwise are playing Russian Roulette, and some will be nominated for the Darwinian Awards.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Well, golly, that&#39;s just dandy of the gas company to verify you don&#39;t have gas dumping into your home after they shut the main off. We do the same. What&#39;s that have to do with CO in homes?

I base my statements >>

Reply to
Steve Scott

Not on a 15-30 year old furnace.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

That&#39;s what I was thinking... they are not leaking so they MUST be safe.

Steve, some people just are to set in their ways to understand that the simple things can be a hazard to their health.

Reply to
<kjpro

Did you miss the "in the last 10+ years" comment? (Or should I say "induced draft furnaces = no heat")

BTW, many "older" furnaces have manual reset spill switches. (this comment doesn&#39;t say "all")

Reply to
<kjpro

Read UL-2034 and you&#39;ll know exactly what it states.

Reply to
<kjpro

Now you have adequately qualified your statement. Induced draft furnaces do indeed stop providing heat when the flue is restricted, and will therefore not pump CO into the house unless the burner is poorly adjusted AND the heat exchanger is damaged.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Well, my nighthawk is UL approved and it DOES display lower concentrations.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I have one like that. You have to press a button to see a lower concentration.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I have one, and have never seen anything but zero.

Joe Fischer

Reply to
Joe Fischer

If you have installed many furnaces in the past 10 years that are not "induced draft"... quit being so cheap!!

:-)

Reply to
<kjpro

Display, not alarm.

I can&#39;t "see" the "display" while I sleep. Is that safe?

Reply to
<kjpro

Mine only reads higher than zero if I force it to by creating CO (run car on driveway and open the door)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

You don&#39;t have to install one to "be around" one as stated in the question above.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca