Need replacement A/C remote

I went to the local appliance store yesterday shopping for an A/C unit. They had a Friedrich 13,000 BTU 220V floor model that they wanted to give me for $300( New one goes for almost twice that). Only thing is there is no remote, but it originally came with one. Is there any way I can program a universal remote for an A/C, or do I have to get a replacement remote from Friedrich?

Reply to
Mikepier

If I am lucky enough to get the code from them, then will it work in a universal remote?

Reply to
Mikepier

I seriously doubt your all-in-one remote would work on your window unit. I'm sure you can find an 800 number on the unit somewhere ... call it and order a replacement remote, couldn't cost too much.

Reply to
Scott McDaniel

Call Friedrich for the program code #

Reply to
m Ransley

Dealer/part search

Les

Reply to
Gina and Les Armstrong

It would be interesting to to know the model number of the unit.. Is it a Quietmaster Programmable?

is the closest to what you have described, and no, a universal all in one type remote wont work with them.

You can contact an authorized dealer, give him the model and serial number, and they can normally order you a remote.

Reply to
webmaster

An Infrared remote just outputs a sequence of signals, a multi remote could learn those signals if it knew the code, if they were in its memory, thinking more about it, they probably are not in the memory of the program of the multi unit but could learn it from a second original remote.

R.F. Transmitters for lighting, apliance from Leutron, X 10, Smart Home , Radioshack, Smart House and others using that protical are compatible with GM , Ford , Genie, Kenmore, etc, etc etc. In other words your Caddy or GM or Ford with 3 button built in door opener can control X 10, Radioshack, Leutron and other lights from the 3 button handheld or built in 3 button door openers in your car. I turn on inside house lights from a Caddy , programing was easy. But the car, garage door opener, lighting manufacturers won`t tell you this, they want you to buy their higher priced system by having you think theirs is exclusive. 3 button remotes have 2 extra buttons, you could have your car turn on a coffee maker and electric blanket if you wished.

Reply to
m Ransley

I have a programmable unit, and honestly, I don't even know what I did with my remote. All the features are accessible on the front panel, and I usually just set it and forget it anyhow. It's nice to have if you are sitting on the couch, and tooo lazy to put the bear down to get up and turn it off when it gets too cold, but it doesn't really chnge the functionality of the unit :) Unless the remote is only $25 to $35 to get, I wouldn't even bother. I'd save the extra $300.

Especially since the remote is probably IR, you'd need a line of site to the unit anyhow which means you won't be that far away from it :)

Reply to
MTLnews

How about a Fedder's 12,000 BTU 115 votl w/remote for $238. Not a floor model.

Ed

Probably not a cheap one unless it designed to handle an A/C. If your appliance store has a display model of your A/C with a remote, you could buy a universal learning remote and program the commands from the remote in the store.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

temperature

MAny units, like Mitsubishi ductless, Friedrich ductless, etc, use them as the thermostat, and to use the more advanced controls. however, the window units use them as nothing but a feature...

Reply to
webmaster

just out of curiousity....why would one need a remote to a a/c? temperature surfing?

Reply to
I R Baboon

Ok, thanks for everyone's responses. I have good news. I called Friedrich and they said if I buy the floor model and if I give them the serial #, they will send me a remote for FREE! Is this a great country or what?

Reply to
Mikepier

This is the one I bought:

It normally goes for $650 at PC Richards appliance store in NY. It will go inside the existing sleeve in the wall.

Reply to
Mikepier