Replacement TV remote

Mother in Law has dementia and has lost her TV remote for her TV/DVd combo.

Are there any recommendations for a 'universal' replacement brand and should I be looking to get her a remote that covers two 'appliances' even though both TV and DVD are combined into the one unit (I'm assuming so here).

There are some brand specific remotes for her unit (Logik) but most seem to be copies of varying quality which is why I'm looking for a reputable maker of a universal type.

Not strictly diy I know but there seems to be a lot of general knowledge on here.

Reply to
Bev

This remote control might be helpful. My mother's assistive technology team at the council gave her one free when she was diagnosed with dementia. Other aids too.

pamela

This place claims to have Logic remotes :-

Or, you *could* try the Sony Handy Speaker (but not cheap) -

This less easy to 'lose' (unless she chucks it in the fire or bin) and it also functions as a remote control, although Logik doesn't seem to be on its list of supported brands.

If you are near a J-L, go and ask.

Reply to
Andrew

Interesting - thanks for the link. I think that MiL may find it confusing to skip up and down channels though when she used to just press

5 or 10 or 1 or whatever.

I suppose I could play around in the TV menu and just have her favourites listed but I'm not sure how the remote would select from just those.

Too many channels - too much choice (and little worth watching IME)

Reply to
Bev

Thanks - I'd found that one (along with one in Ireland). I'm tempted by them..

Hmm, not for her but maybe for me as I get told that I have the volume too high. Nearest JL is a way from us but it could be worth a visit to check out just how they work in practice. Two speakers in different parts of the room may be a bit of an issue.

Reply to
Bev

I should add that as they seem to be based in Doncaster I suppose either Bill or Adam could be sent in to sort them out if I have a problem!

Reply to
Bev

They are all much of a muchness. Just make sure the one you pick has decent sized buttons and a similar layout to the missing one.

In your situation I would look down the sides of every piece of furniture before buying another one and if at all possible replace it with like for like so that the button layout is identical.

With dementia small changes in how to do things can result in failure to do them at all.

ISTR larger Tesco's have some and Curried PC World have then on the shelf which might be helpful even if you pay a bit more than online.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Another problem with a lot of replacements is that the user needs to have access to the remote ie not to lose it first...

Listen even I get confused about channels, they just had another reshuffle and I really need to spend a morning sorting the bloomin thing out AGAIN! It would be nice if the Amazon echo could be used... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Gogogle "remotes for you" Sells replacements and universal remotes. If she has dementia, a replacement would be better, a different one would confuse her.

I had one from here when mine packed in.

Reply to
harry

Sometimes TVs' and such can be used using an app on a phone or tablet, the buttons are much bigger too on larger screen + slightly less easy to lose, but you'll need to be networked up with a rounter and have the appliances able to support such a thing, which of course might not be possible as the elderly are less likely to have such a thing in their homes.

Reply to
whisky-dave

quality is usually good and fair prices, note that the prices in brackets are the VAT included ones.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I've heard of someone that was presented with two options in the mid 70s ..stay in or leave, 40 odd years later they had to do the same again except this time they couldn't decide whether to be in or out so decided to make his own box as a 3rd option of not wanting to be in or out, perhaps he just wanted to shake it all about. ;-D

Reply to
whisky-dave

Have you checked Ebay to see if a proper replacement is available? Perhaps a copy rather than genuine spare? Someone with dementia might find it hard to learn to use a different one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)