OT: recommendation for making photo slideshow onto CD/DVD (free)

I'm looking for a recommendation for some software (preferably free) to create a slideshow of about 200 photos (JPG) onto a DVD (or CD) that will run on a TV (built-in DVD, so probably needs more than just a Data CD burn).

Anyone got any recommendations?

A bit of googling suggests 'DVD slideshow GUI' is a possibility, or there's 'Windows DVD Maker' in Windows 7.

TIA

Allan

Reply to
Allan

The Windows 7 software is OK, but whatever you use, a good tip is resize your photos to about 800 by 600 or else it'll take forever when rendering the final output file.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Check the TV - some have "slideshow mode" for JPEG data DVDs.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

1.) Launch Gimp 2.) Select File 3.) Open as layers 4.) Hold down ctrl and select images. 5.) Select File 6.) Save as 7.) Make a file name that ends in .gif 8.) Gimp gifs only accepts layers. 9.) Save as animation 10.) Adjust speed.

There are online sites that do this too but you are limited to using a finite number of images.

Gif Ninja for example.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Ulead video studio is good and you get a full version for 30 days free.

Reply to
Gary

A fair number (but not all) will play JPGs that are the right aspect ratio and size for the TV. What you get with others is variable.

Typically downsampling works but leaves some jaggies up close and upsampling low resolution source data can be ahem - amusing. It all depends on the engine used by the DVD player.

Many DVD players can handle JPEGs directly so try that out first. It should say in the manual what formats it can play back dircetly.

If portability is an issue you will have to do something a bit more complex to make a standards compliant video DVD at native 720p or 1080p.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That should be controllable - ie can step back and forth through the images using the remote, jump to image number 123, etc.

...but that will be a simple linear video stream - ie you don't get to select the speed by which you can go through them, or go backwards (without rewind, or abusing 'chapters').

Another option is to have something that looks like a DVD menu (the thing that allows you to select chapters, extra content, deleted scenes, using graphics and music from the film/etc), but that acts as a slideshow. I don't know if any off-the-shelf software can do that.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I was in same position .... Parents wanted copies of holiday snaps, I go diving regularly & dive buddies wanted copies of underwater pics & vids.

Lost of searching around and came across a really good piece of software. ProshowGold by Photodex.

Look at this demo ...

really is good .. burns to DVD or DC, or even PC executables. #Has all standard transitions, animations, fades etc. ,,,,, very easy to use and very professional results. For example you can add soundtracks and it can stretch pic show to match length of track or shrink track to fit ... all clever stuff.

There are loads of 'them' packs to download for backgrounds, themes such as weddings, parties, holidays. One neat one was where show start as an old style photo album, and pages turn to reveal each picture ... you can of course add text or sound wherever you want.

You can mix video & pics in same show ... have nice opening screens so they have a menu on DVD boot up and you can then go to each show or even sub-show.

I only have ver 4 ... which does all I need

You should be able to pick up copy of ver 4 cheaply

It actually does all that I needed - very good piece of software.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Take a look at my post on ProShow Gold .. it does that and a ton more.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Does a bootable one exist yet? To use old discless laptops basically.

NT

Reply to
NT