Need ideas for replacing a garage flourescent fixture

OK. As I may have mentioned before, I like to over build. I also don't know the weight of the fixture. That said, "drywall anchors" for a ceiling fixture make me, in general, a tad queasy.

Not much more trouble to use something like these. You still have to drill a hole, so the installation is basically the same as a drywall anchor but with much support.

or these:

You get the advantage of the old-fashioned molly bolts (support spread out over a larger area) but you don't loose the anchor portion if you want to remove the screw/bolt at some future time.

Let us know how it all works out.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I have one of those flat panel LED's. It comes with a square metal support plate that one attaches to the electrical junction box, much like any light fixture. Then the panel slides and latches onto the support plate. The attachment mechanism is fixed to the center of the fixture, so the junction box must be centered on the fixture.

An old-work box would be sufficient, as the support plate (10"x10") has plenty of places to use drywall screws into a attic joist or a drywall anchor to secure the plate to the ceiling.

They're on sale at Costco this month.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The support plate (10x10") has holes for screws (into a joist, drywall anchor or toggle bolt). The fixture support plate _must_ be centered on the junction box. An old work _octagon_ box will work just fine.

The fixture doesn't weight more than a few pounds.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I suspect this is the OP's fixture:

Scott Lurndal

The last sentence would be a very good place to start. The last 4' fixture wasn't supported by a box, we know that.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes. That's it.

I bought four of them on sale at Costco earlier in the week. Each comes with four plastic anchors & screws & two bolts for the jct box.
I also bought four of the Costco 3-panel 8000 lumen screw in garage lights.

One of those two items is going there.

Reply to
John Robertson

Well then you go right along, f****it and do it your way. Keep listening to whoever that moron was you called up at the town, the one that told you a ceiling box, even one nailed to a joist, isn't good enough. You should ask him for the code cite on that, like I suggested. That is the standard install done for new work all over the USA, a ceiling box for light fixtures nailed to a joist, they pass inspection every day.

But heh, you know more, so go ahead, rip the f****ng ceiling apart, put a f****ng stell I beam in there for all I care. But maybe you should start with reading the instructions. I'm betting that metal plate, about a foot square that you had taped to the back of the fixture is what actually holds it.

I just don't have the time to try to deal with such

Right, ignore the people that cite the facts and told you in the very first post what to do.

Well, well, what do you know, just like I said.

Well, well what do you know, the manufacturer says you can use drywall anchors to secure it, no ripping the ceiling apart. Wow, who would have thought that was possible?

No shit Sherlock.

So why did you drone on for a day about how to secure the damn thing? Good grief, what a total moron. You should be posting from HomeMoanersHub.

Reply to
trader_4

That's what I told him in my first post but he won't listen and wants to tear apart the ceiling. Some f****it over at the town told him that even a ceiling box nailed to a joist isn't good enough. Go figure. I'd like to see the code cite for that one.

Reply to
trader_4

I've purchased them for $18 Canadian a tube (about 3 years ago)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

those 3 panel units are fantastic - fit into a standarf keyless bulb holder and weigh very little so a "rework" box fung from the drywall by the spring clamps id more than adequate. Have one in MY garage.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I agree with you that the 3-panel 8000 Lumen screw-in LED is light & bright!

I put them in my attic to test them out and they lit the entire attic.

They're almost double the price on Amazon for some strange reason.

John Robertson

"third parties" is significantly higher priced than you can buy it locally if it is available locally. If it is stocked, sold, and shipped by Amazon the percentage drops significantly - but there are still a lot of "bad deals"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have that flat panel that was on sale at Costco for something like $40. But I ended up putting in the 8000 Lumen three-panel LED Clare used.

How does it look? https://freeimage.host/i/Ey8b3B https://freeimage.host/i/Ey8t4V https://freeimage.host/i/Ey8ZEQ https://freeimage.host/i/Ey8QCx https://freeimage.host/i/Ey8mYP

I didn't have any major problems. But I learned a few things.

The joists are a foot tall (is that normal?) so there's LOTS of room.

I put the hole a little too close to the joist (but it worked out ok as the wings didn't need to be removed so it just barely made it ok).

I made the hole a little too small but I used a half-round file to round it out and also to notch a bit to get the three folded wings into the hole.

I used a rubber mallet to bang it in which seems to have worked OK.

When I pulled the Romex through I had the strain relieve at the beginning of the cut outer core but as I wiggled it fed a couple inches into the box.

I couldn't find a three-wire porcelain lamp holder at Home Depot. So I had to bend the ground wire back away from the connections.

The on/off pull switch has to bend a bit around the light that I put in but it's mostly going to be left in the on position as the ceiling lights have their own wall switch.

The blue old work box says it can handle 6 pounds where the light itself is probably barely a pound.

Reply to
John Robertson

The paddle type round "old work" junction boxes say they hold 6 pounds.

Here is a video of someone doing the work just like I had to do today.

John Robertson

Thanks for all your advice. Here are the pictures from start to finish. Made a few mistakes so it didn't go perfectly but it was my first time. If you see anything I did wrong now is the time to let me know.

(1.jpg)
(2.jpg)
(3.jpg)
(4.jpg)
(5.jpg)
(6.jpg)
(7.jpg)
(8.jpg)
(9.jpg) https://freeimage.host/i/EUiZcQ (10.jpg)
(10.jpg) https://freeimage.host/i/Ey8b3B (11.jpg) https://freeimage.host/i/Ey8t4V (12.jpg) https://freeimage.host/i/Ey8ZEQ (13.jpg) https://freeimage.host/i/Ey8QCx (14.jpg) https://freeimage.host/i/Ey8mYP (15.jpg)

I wish there was a ground in the porcelain fixture though.

Reply to
John Robertson

There are no 3 wire lampholdes. Ground wire goes to box (which is why I like metal boxes)

You should have bought a "keyless" lampholder - no switch - and cheaper

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Kinda hard to "ground" an insulator, don't you think? and "ceramic" is a darn good insulator - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Did you not see the holder with the 3 prong grounded outlet ?

Also, if concerned, add a GFCI to this circuit.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That's a 3 prong outlet with a lampholder -------

Reply to