Need help INTERPRETING these test results police cruiser SAE J866a Chase Test

I called Centric at 626-961-5775 where I'm told the Centric parts for this vehicle are:

  • Rear shoes: 11105890 ceramic
  • Front pads: 10504360 ceramic

I spoke to Centric tech support multiple times today, who knew all about the Michigan police cruiser studies, SAE J866 Chase Test, and SAE J2784 compliance, and the AMECA Edge Codes (aka DOT Edge Codes).

They gave me the DOT Edge Codes after calling the warehouse:

  • CENTRIC 11105890 shoes = 111AA9101FF30N17 which is CEN 111AA9101 FF
  • CENTRIC 10504360 pads = 15AA2256FE48A17 which his CEN 15AA2256 FE

The rear shoes have a registered material of #161379 which matches:

  • CEN 111AA9101 FF
  • CEN 112AA9101 FF

There is a large discrepancy in the front shoes since they match to #161583

  • CEN 15AA2256 GF (this is not EF which is what is printed on the pad)
  • CEN 15AA8241 GF

After multiple calls to Ameca and to Centric (I've left out the engineer's names from this and all my reports on purpose), there must be a mistake which they'll iron out between themselves.

I asked CENTRIC what "OEM Quality" means, and the engineer told me "mostly marketing". I asked if there was a spec of clay in the pad if they could call it ceramic, and he agreed.

He told me a lot of other stuff also, such as the fact they don't sell to Rock Auto nor to Amazon, so if you get Centric parts there, it's through a reseller of some sort.

The technical engineer did tell me that Centric puts all brake shoes on a dyno and tests them thoroughly to assure they meet OEM Quality, but it's not like a manufacturer gives them a spec. They just know how brake shoes and pads should work.

If you do not believe any of this, I don't blame you because it goes against all your intuition but intuition is almost always wrong on highly marketed items because it's not intuition that drives the thought process anymore - it's marketing.

But all you have to do to confirm is make the same phone calls I did. Just ask for tech support when the operator answers the phone.

AMECA +1-202-898-0145 CENTRIC +1-626-961-5775

Reply to
Mad Roger

Mad Roger posted for all of us...

Then you have been poorly trained. Our company had mandatory EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operations Course) training by a certified instructor & recertification. PA is a "due regard" state. Look it up. You can't help if the vehicle is crashed. You are responsible for the crew and victims.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

Exactly! When the slickback chevys first came out with ABS the cops were burning up pads and crashing early and often. They had to be *retrained* to keep the binders on and steer out of trouble.

Reply to
Tekkie®

And that doesn't even work when you get into sloppy wet slush - The brakes basically shut off, and if you could steer around the trouble you wouldn't need to even try the brakes.

When driving in those conditions you drive as if you have no brakes - because when it comes right down to it, you will be right.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Otherwise known as defensive driving!

I like your thinking! ;-)

Reply to
Xeno

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

+1 Training to steer out of trouble is hard. One has to focus their eyes on where they want to go rather than latching onto the collision site.
Reply to
Tekkie®