need a HD toilet seat

Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average, he was breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat broke, I put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

Reply to
Andrew Ross

Get several wood ones and combine the plastic feet from them onto one seat.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Andrew Ross wrote in news:i176a4$3be$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Sure looks like it. I discovered they're called "bariatric" toilet seats. "Bariatrics" is a branch of medicine that deals with obesity.

These seats are rated up to 500 lbs.

Reply to
Tegger

Excellent info. I plugged the term "bariatric toilet seat" into the Lowes website and got some good results.

Thanks much.

Reply to
Andrew Ross

Speaking as a former renter, I'd be damned if I would admit to my landlord that my fat ass broke his toilet seat, particularly since it happened before just a couple of years. Be that as it may, tell him to replace it himself.

Make sure he buys a wood seat.

There is obese and there is obese. How much does this big boy weigh?

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

Labor? It takes five minutes to install a terlet seat, and that includes the time required to clean the toilet!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I had some rent houses and some of those renters..... were big! I had trouble with them leaning back on the tank and wound up having to put a blocks between the tank and the wall so the tank wouldn't wouldn't get pushed back and leak. A person ought to be able to weigh their renters and charge extra for the extra lbs. Not as bad as the cats and dogs they sneak in but it comes of the bottom line. (no pun intended) BTW just for the fun of it, if you look at the inside of the tank there will usually be a date of manufacture somewhere. Oldest one I ever found was 1926.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Or just buy one plus extra feet.

Reply to
dadiOH

Frankly, the problem is not the toilet seats you buy. It is the obese tenant, and if he has been long term, you obviously don't want to get rid of him. But he knows he is obese and that because of that, he is breaking the seats. When lease renewal time comes around, I would make the toilet seat replacement his responsibility. If he is so unreasonable that he balks at that, I'd tell the fat ass to move. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

Do the guy a favor and also consider a grab bar to hold when lowering and raising himself off the toilet. It might also help prevent damage to the seat from sudden sit-downs, and I bet it'd be appreciated.

Nonny

Reply to
Nonny

They used to sell feet separately.

I ended up with one that was made with four feet on the ring. AFAicr a lot of them only have two, so this one should hold a lot more weighbt.

But is it really the LL's responsibillty, if he put in a seat of normal strength and a tenant broke it?

OP, if you do buy another one, maybe give the tenant the receipt and tell him he's responsible. Does it say otherwise in the lease, and even if it seems to, isn't this seat abuse?

Reply to
mm

I missed the word excellent. Worth some extra effort for an excellent tenant.

Reply to
mm

Reply to
Michael B

I bought one online that had four feet on it and a brass hinge... that might be the solution

I'm not obese, but the girl wanted chromed hinges and the ones I bought at the local Big Box were chromed pot metal and looked like hell after a year. This one still polishes up OK. The four feet thing I guess is a bonus.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The best thing to replace it with is what the experts use.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

$30 every 18-24 months is a "deal breaker" for an "excellent" tenant? Really? I'd happily spend that every year to keep such a stellar tenant. It works out to less than $3 a month. And if you really need to pay someone to install a toilet seat (you did bitch about "labor" for the "installation"), then you should definitely not own rental property unless you hire a management company. to do EVERYTHING for you. Seriously.

Labor to put a toilet seat on is expensive? It's a 5 minute job, if that!

For a long lasting toilet seat, shoot some 2-1/2" deck screws from the underside of the ring. Guarantee you, they won't be plopping down on it.

Reply to
Smarty

In PA repairs under $100 are the responsibility of the tenant.

Reply to
Tony

Until I read the posting was trying to figure out what a "Higfh Definition" toilet seat might be! Maybe a metal reinforced one? i.e. a horseshoe metal reinforcing to the bottom the seat. And/or additional contact points to spread the weight evenly from the bottom of the seat to the ceramic portion of of the toilet.

Reply to
terry
[snip]

Is the toilet behind the sink, or is this a combination unit?

Reply to
Gary H