Nearly three feet

I think you're the reason the Foot Long Hot Dog stands at the fair now have "About a" in parentheses before their name.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

We may be so blessed, but I'm not aware of it as a problem in Central Florida. Of course, if it's like the air potato vine, I may wake up tomorrow and find my house engulfed.

I wonder about a kudzu plant and an air potato plant fighting over the same tree. Which would win, and would the winner strangle the loser?

Reply to
Tony Cooper

LOL That's funny!

Reply to
Jenn

"In a year's time" means that over the course of a year (any year) he picks up hundreds of them from the yard.

Reply to
Lewis

Did you change shoe-size scales around the age of 30?

Reply to
Lewis

Yes, we went metric.

But those sizes had three digits, and they soon went back to single digit sizes, but the old ones were too small.

Reply to
Steve Hayes

I agree with the "deceptive". I can see their logic; they are using "feet" as an integer quantity. So "one foot" is nowhere near three feet, but "two feet" is nearly three.

I use a related deception by saying that my age is nearer to 60 than it is to 50. I could equally say that I'm nearer 50 than 40, but that deception is more obvious upon inspection (of my face).

Reply to
Swifty

Daniel Prince filted:

How many feet does the grabber extend your reach?..."more than two" is enough for them to call it "nearly three"....r

Reply to
R H Draney

Tony Cooper filted:

I wouldn't advise doing the experiment...they may decide to join forces....

Arizona's version of kudzu is apparently the quagga mussel....r

Reply to
R H Draney

That's obviously what he means, but it's not idiomatic for me. I would say what you did for that meaning, not "in a year's time", which suggests to me a year in the future, as it does for Steve.

Reply to
annily

Is this yet another pondian difference?

Reply to
Steve Hayes

Translation into my language: "over the course of a year".

Reply to
Peter Moylan

Subway sells foot-long sandwiches that are about ten inches long.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

Do you get many of those in your garden?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Rising damp can be a real problem.

Reply to
Leslie Danks

Nonsense, Miss Jones!

Reply to
Adam Funk

Using the words "nearly three" *sounds* more positive than using another word like say "almost three".

Reply to
Jenn

I'm not sure. "In a year's time" sounds a little folksy to me, and that often turns out to mean "AmE South". I would probably say "Over the course of a year" but I didn't think Tony's phrasing was unusual.

Reply to
Lewis

Or for me, simply "in a year".

Reply to
Steve Hayes
  • Jenn:

When my son is still up at 10:15, my wife reminds him that it's 11 and he should be in bed. I understand that she uses hyperbole, but I am still wondering how she expected him to learn the clock this way.

But it is in fact only "almost nearly three feet" (it would be nearly three feet if it was just a little longer).

Reply to
Oliver Cromm