Naphtha uses

I was advised on a bicycle forum to use Naphtha to clean my bike chain.
I was previously using paint thinner.
I found that Simple Green worked as well and is environmentally friendly.
So what other uses can I use the Naphtha for?
Reply to
AK
AK expressed precisely :
In the Navy it was used to test if there was enough oxygen in the air to sustain life.
Reply to
FromTheRafters
Naphtha is just like a clean gasoline. I use it in a Coleman lamp. Octane would be different but you could add small quantities to gasoline tanks in car, lawn mower etc.
I had an interesting experience in bicycle chain cleaning in that I was using WD40 and came into a spray can of Teflon mold release agent and tried it. It cleaned and lubricated the chain very well but after a few weeks I noticed the chain was rusting. Since there was no hydrocarbon in the cleaner, there was no protection against rusting.
You might look into this as I am not sure the stuff in Simple Green will offer rust protection.
Reply to
Frank

I've got an earlier version of the tool that I use with Simple Green but as the the instructions point out I lube the chain after cleaning it. I prefer Boeshield. Unlike some of Boeing's designs, it works.
Reply to
rbowman
Lot more than I ever did. Had I lubed the chain after cleaning with the Teflon spray it would not have rusted. Teflon lubes but does not rust proof.
Reply to
Frank
After cleaning, I use WD-40 Dry Lube PTFE spray.
It does not attract as much dirt as anything wet.
Andy
Reply to
AK
I have one of those park tools.
I love it.
What used to take a hour now takes around 15 minutes.
Andy
Reply to
AK
on 8/4/2020, AK supposed :
In a shipboard firefighting school it was mentioned that a candle-like apparatus was used to test for sufficient oxygen levels before entering voids or other non-ventilated spaces to work. It was also mentioned that Naphtha was the fuel used in the candle. It was the first time I ever heard the word Naphtha.
That being said, I can't find any mention of it online so I can't back up my claim. So, it is a take it or leave it sort of thing.
Reply to
FromTheRafters
As the resident pedant, I'd like to point out that the word is pronounced naftha, just like it's spelled. Similar to the word ophthamology, which is correctly pronounced off- or ofthamology.
Also, there is no need, no point to capitalizing the word naphtha unless you are referring to some named brand of it, like Fels Naphtha. BTW, the latter was a soap with some amount of naphta included. Wikip says "As naphtha is no longer an ingredient, the product is no longer a cancer risk. "
"The newly formulated product is still used to remove urushiol, the oil associated with poison ivy and poison oak. " and for pretreating stains on clothing.
Reply to
micky
I think they make something similar for motorcycles but I don't have one. It's kerosene and a toothbrush. My dentist keeps me well supplied with toothbrushes. I wish she'd throw in some of those explorer thingies; they're real handy too.
Reply to
rbowman
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 01:06:58 -0700 (PDT), AK wrote:
Naphtha is the secret ingredient in most gasoline additives like Yamaha Ring Free and other miracle cures. If they mix it with some ethanol it is dry gas.
Reply to
gfretwell

Site Timeline Threads