Name of plug in US

There is more to this world than Amazon.

Try Nile.com or Mississippi.com.

Reply to
mm

And for that matter, BNC twist on, so why are they in this discussion at all (in other posts)? I just learned that B stands for bayonet.

Reply to
mm

At least someone got helped!

Reply to
mm

You must live in a Cable world. F is the only thing that will connect to the antenna jack (or signal input jack) on most or all American tvs these days, and to DVD recorders, and to VCRs in the past, and this works well because F-connectors are used on the end of co-ax that goes to antennas too, in the attic, on the roof, and probably from rabbit ears, which btw are still sold.

So it hardly just for cable TV.

Yes, you're right.

Reply to
mm

Reply to
John Fields

NTSC I hate repeats any way!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I've also heard them called "British Naval Connectors".

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

In the US they are called PAL connectors.

Geoff.

Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In England some people joke that it stands for "Brand New Connector" and the later TNC stands for "Terribly New Connector". :-)

Geoff

Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Not in the US. They were called PAL connectors because only PAL TV sets and VCR's used them. They were only sold in shops which catered to foreign tourists, Indians and saliors. All three of which bought them in the US because of the low taxes and then took or sent them "home".

Over the years I've referred to F connecters as NTSC connectors when someone called the Belling-Lee ones PAL connectors, but no one got the joke. :-(

Geoff.

Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Yes, but the solid shell is probably confusing.

They're also used for demodulated plain ol' NTSC video, but I can't speak at what they use in Rightpondia. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I can assure you that PAL refers to an analogue broadcast standard. What the Americans call a "PAL connector" is really strictly speaking a Belling Lee.

It sounds like "PAL connector has become everyday language in USA, just like "Hoover" or "Xerox" whereas strictly speakign they are vacuum cleaner and photocopier respectively.

Here in Great Britain, the F- connector is used for connecting satellite dishes to the recievers or by the cable TV networks.

I persoanlly prefer F connector to Belling Lee as the latter can easily fall out of the socket whereas F connectors dont.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

The UK version is mentioned here.

"Belling-Lee connector or IEC 169-2 connector, more often simply known as TV aerial plug"

A lot of my wiring here (Canada), is done with F series.

The RCA / Cinch connector is also a common connector type on home electronics, being used for audio and video. Compared to the Belling-Lee, the central prong is longer.

The antenna connector in my car, is like none of those, so there is at least one other flavor, and the prong on that one is even longer. I've not succeeded in finding a match for it. (Antenna rusted off car, so currently the car has no antenna. I get an extra mile per gallon that way :-) )

Paul

Reply to
Paul

No one doubts that. It's also a DVD standard too iiuc.

I think it can be two things at the same time, and it's hard to be just a Belling Lee when I for one had never heard of such a thing. I'm sure that's true of many people who sell them in the US too.

Hoover means vacuum cleaner in some other countries, but in the US it's just another brand. Gerber means baby food in general some places.

Xerox does indeed mean photocopy here. I think a small part of my jaunt in law school dealt with trademarks, but I've always thought the rule was backwards from what it should be. If people use xerox as a synonym for photocopy, that should strengthen the trademark and not weaken it. Then the Xerox company, or the Scotch tape company wouldn't have to waste their efforts defending their name, except in advertising for another brand.

But when someone actually uses a Xerox machine or real Scotch tape, making them call it Scotch brand tape or Xerox brand photocopying seems silly.

And if someone on the news, for example, said the company released a xerox of some document, just assume they used a real Xerox machine or something living up to its standards.

Just my rant.

Reply to
mm

Y'er welcome. I had never heard of Belling-Lee connectors until some friends arrived from UK with "universal" AM/FM/TV/SW contrivance that did PAL, NTSC, and SECAM all in one box. I wanted to see how well it worked, but when I tried to plug in a test cable, I couldn't find a connector that would fit. The manual was useless. The local shopping mall travel store was helpful. They allowed me to dig through their collection of connectors, where I found one as part of a very expensive adapter kit. A few photos and a dumb question in one of the travel forums generated the necessary info. However, I didn't want to wait for an adapter, so I made my own from some brass tubing and an F connector.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"The Ghost in The Machine"

THE ONES IN THE PIX ARE BNC CONNECTORS,

** Wrong.
Reply to
Phil Allison

"The Ghost in The Machine"

OOPS!!! ON SECOND VIEWING THE ONE IN THE PIX IS USING CLASSY RCA PLUGS,

** Wrong again.
Reply to
Phil Allison

The push on connectors were the 'G' series, and designed to be matable with the 'F' series. Most places selling them are absolutely clueless, like selling DE9 connectors as DB9. Mass marketing to, for and by idiots. :(

If you want real fun, try to buy a 'HN' connector over the counter at a wholesaler. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I first wrote "Navel" but changed it when I figured no one might get the joke. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Not exactly. The "G" series was contrived to provide a connector suitable for passing up to 15A of current. The cable companies have always powered line amps from DC on the cable. That was fine with semi-rigid coax and compression connectors that could handle the current. However, when the amps shrank in size, a newer smaller connector was needed. That was the Type G connector.

Well, lets see what Google can offer. Searching for DE9, I get

70,100,000 hits, while DB9 returns 8,830,000 hits. So about 12% are clueless.

Actually, it should be DE9S or DE9P, but that's being picky.

Hi-V. I've never seen or used one. There are plenty of other obscure connectors.

The RF industry is full of specialized connectors. There was one connector found on many wireless cards where I couldn't find a mating plug. It turned out that there wasn't a mating plug. It was a test connector with a conical entry.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann