Removing plaster of a little baroque castle in Bohemia

meant to say Removing Paint Hi All, We .. that is myself and three sons are restoring this house in the Czech countryside . It has paint on the walls since it had a very big makeover in 1730. the Under the paint layers are the shows of the original paintings on the walls . I have done a lot of scraping with hand tools but it is just getting too much. Please advise on an electric tool that would be controllable as i dont want to hurt the plaste too much. Is the Bosch pse a good buy ? I see a couple on Ebay but I see it is discontinued so spares will be a problem ? Is there another one you would advise or perhaps something completely different ? Thank you !

Reply to
bicbic

Nthkentman

Are the original paintings required to show? If so, then it will be a long delicate job, and you'd be well advised to consult with conservation experts. In Britain, medieval wall paintings are often subject to preservation orders, and you can get grants to help conserve them, and can be in real trouble if you're found damaging them, even accidentally.

You might want to speak to the local equivalent of our National Trust, or even our National Trust, as they own many properties of this age, and I've found them friendly in the past.

Reply to
John Williamson

The OP isn't a native English speaker, I wondered whether "paintings" means "paint". Whether it's paintings or not, at that age, surely what's been put on top will be some sort of lime wash (although it may have all sorts of things in it). The answer to removing multiple layers of lime wash IME is to get it very very wet, and eventually it falls off.

Reply to
newshound

In message , bicbic writes

bulldozer

Reply to
geoff

Well, he's asking the same question in a different way in another thread now, and implies there that he wants the original paint to remain.

Lots of water and a scrubbing brush will get limewash off, but he doesn't say what type of paint he's trying to remove, it could well be modern emulsion or gloss. The problem with water and scrubbing is that it may well take off the original paint as well.

Reply to
John Williamson

Thanks for the replies I am the artist restorer so all that is taken care of . When the layers of paint which range from white wash to oil based have been removed only a shadow of the paintings are left .ie. when the first coat was done they gave it a good rub down and so that which stained the plaster is all that is left . I need an electric painrt scraper so please anyone out there with experience do let me know which are the best . There are some fairly cheap ..about 45 quid ..on ebay . Would these do the trick as I only want to go quite slowly.

Reply to
bicbic

Agreed

Reply to
newshound

Ah yes, the big boy's angle grinder

:-)

Reply to
newshound

Reply to
bicbic

May have changed model numbers around but Bosch is the next big name competitor to the Fein Multimaster , tools are pretty much interchangeable between all the oscillating multitool brands by use of adaptor plates.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

The Fein offering, or the Bosch, can hardly be described as paint scrapers - they're more cutting tools.

For accurate work you can't really beat a combination of a 1" scraper and a holder for various scalpel blades - oh - and lots of loving time.

Forget electrical gadgets, which just take away the necessary artistic skills!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Give me a break..if you saw how much i have to do !! Please give me a list of tools that would do the job

Reply to
bicbic

newshound