Nail

My house was built in 1898 and when recently I posted a photo of some remodeling work I did and also a photo of a nail I removed from the lath. It was 1 1/8th inch long with a beveled tip and small round head. I doubt it's any different from any nail being made today.

I had no idea something this simple would start a war. Several "friends" claimed that they just did not make nails like that in 1898.

Sheesh, a nail is hardly hi-tech and I know those headless nails are hundreds of years old.

Reply to
philo

Some history and pictures here may help.

Anonymous

Thank you very much. Mine was a wire nail, so not likely much of a rarity in 1898.

Reply to
philo

You posted it here, or somewhere else?

Did they say why? Is your nail covered in tan anodized aluminum? I don't think they had those in 1898 (or now).

Maybe you could post a link to it here.

Reply to
micky

I posted on Facebook. No, it was NOT anodized...

Reply to
philo

Any reason you are not posting a link here?

Kinda of tough to agree with you or your friends without the aforementioned picture.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

philo

"Google

404. That?s an error. The requested URL was not found on this server. That?s all we know."
Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Don't know what the problem is but on the other link above going to the story on nail types...my nail is identical to the last one pictured listed as a wire nail.

Reply to
philo