Pennsylvania Electric Rate Increase

Christmas light displays will get more expensive this year.

Dean Hoffman

Saw this in the paper this morning:

invalid unparseable

I wonder if that "50%" increase is on some top-tier rates, with lesser increases on lower tiers.

I'm paying

0.045 on the first 510 KWH for "power supply charges" 0.064840 on the next 1093 KWH for "power supply charges" 0.041760 on 1603 KWH for "power supp;ly non capacity charge" 0.066110 on 1603 KWH for "delivery charges"

Plus miscellaneous other bribery and corruption charges.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Panic inducing headline. One small power company is increasing a portion of the bill 50% but that is for energy and not the delivery side so they may see a 25% increase on the total bill.

The larger companies, much less: Peco Energy, which serves Philadelphia and its suburbs, will boost its energy charge by 6.4% on Dec. 1, from 6.6 cents per kilowatt hour to about 7 cents per kWh.

Based on the Peco increase, my cost in a hot month with lots of AC running would be $4.00. this time of years. about $1.60.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You can probably lower delivery charges if you use grubhub, doordash, or even Lyft.

Reply to
micky

Good one. I wonder if they'd bring it in one of those Chinese restaurant take-out boxes.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Yikes That is 17-18 cents a KWH. You used 1603 KWH, what was the bill?

I pay 11.66 cents a KWH top line to bottom line. (Bill/KWH) Non-fuel: (First 1000 kWh at $0.067000) (Over 1000 kWh at $0.077620) Fuel: (First 1000 kWh at $0.025100) (Over 1000 kWh at $0.035100)

I suppose it is better than California. They pay outrageous amounts and PG&E is still letting their infrastructure rot.

Reply to
gfretwell

Only if you don't tip them, then they might spit in your electricity .

Reply to
gfretwell

Somewhere around $300. Outdoor hot tub and indoor air-conditioning at the first hint of warmth. Sundry other loads like a dehumidifier, two fridges, running the HVAC blower 24/7/365

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Ouch. Mine hit just under $100 a couple times this summer. I thought that was enough.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The price per KWH is less for me during the winter when I use supplemental electric heat. In the summer 95% of the bill is the various fixed charges. I could pull the mains and it still would cost me about $35 a month.

Reply to
rbowman

I haven't broken $100 even in the winter with electric space heaters. No hot tub and no AC helps.

Reply to
rbowman

Mine is a monthly base charge of $39.26 plus .0521/kWH. I use around

650-750 kWH in the summer and 300-450 the rest of the year (low end of the range in spring/fall).

In the last year, my low bill was $54.18, high was $85.30, most bills are in the $60-$65 range.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Is that your winter bill with the hot tub running? That is surprising. My usage is more like 2500 KWH but I am pumping water, cooking and heating water on that bill along with the same stuff you have. My wife's oxygen concentrator costs about $35-40 a month to run according to my Kill A watt. (~450watts) I suppose I could find a way to bill Medicare for that if I wanted to but I am not screwing with it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Good one. Both of you.

Reply to
micky

Mine's on autopay and boy is it easy to spend money without paying attention with autopay.

But I just checked and for the last 2 years it runs 58 to 89 dollars

One approximate month as low as 45. But there's only one of me here.

It tends to be less in the summer, I guess because I use less lighting, and I don't have AC anymore since it broke. I count and there are about

6 - 8 days a summer that I really wish I had it, although if I had a wife or daughter, there would be more.

BGE has always had one of the worst webpages, and now when I click on Details there are no details. But it does let me see an image of the bill they would have mailed:

Residential - Schedule R Billing Period: Oct 20, 2021 - Nov 18, 2021 Days Billed: 29 Next Scheduled Reading: December 19, 2021 Meter #G156872197 Read on Nov 18 Current Reading 49238 - Previous Reading 48620 = 618kWh used ELECTRIC SUPPLY $51.48 BGE 618 kWh x .0833 51.48 BGE ELECTRIC DELIVERY $31.45** Customer Charge 8.00 EmPower MD Chg 618 kWh x .00594 3.67 Distribution Chg 618 kWh x .03512 21.70 BGE Federal Tax Credit - 1.92 TAXES & FEES $0.79 M D Universal Svc Prog 0.32 Envir Srchg 618 kWh x .000147 0.09 Franchise Tax 618 kWh x .00062 0.38 TOTAL $83.72

**I have to call Grubhub.

If you add up the per Kwh it's about 12.5c per kWh. I don't know how much it is elsewhere, or at the local competitors.

Reply to
micky

618 KWH, you are damned near Amish ;-) My wife's oxygen machine uses about 60% of that by itself. I suppose you have natural gas for heating things and cooking tho.
Reply to
gfretwell

Maybe because I live so close to Lancaster.

No, but I haven't been using the oven much lately. I even microwave cookie dough. My interest has been piqued however and I hope I'll start roasting and broiling more and keep track then

Reply to
micky

I figure my wife's used 185 kw a month. less than $20.

No, you can't bill Medicare for it either. One of my son's clients tried it .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My highest month was August at 969. December to April ran 429 to 506. Hot water, dryer, cooking is gas.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski