My Slow Cooker Takes Too Long

Harry, I'm not going to debate this with you, there is no point. But I do have some advice for you, before you call someone an idiot, be SURE you know what you are talking about. Have a good day.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I wish I had the counter top convection oven a friend gave me years ago. It was the size of a large microwave oven, had a standard 120v plug and didn't draw a lot of current for what it did. It had a simple mechanical timer, thermostat and pilot light to indicate it was on. It was an uncomplicated and very effective appliance. I could put a roast, a large dead chicken or any combination of dead animal parts and plants that had been ripped from their homes into a large pan then cover it with aluminum foil, set the timer, turn the oven on then go do a service call or some shopping. When I returned after a few hours, the lifeless animal and vegetable pieces were cooked and had time to cool down to a suitable temperature for me to tear into the dead animal parts and eat them. Of course I was making all the appropriate grunting and growling sounds as I ate. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

+1
Reply to
DD_BobK

Oh boy, here we go again...

How many times do you have to be told that WD-40 is not duct tape.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Your all wrong. The element will heat increasing resistance. Power will be less than 4 times. My cooker will start to boil liquid around the sides after a while. I don't think there is a thermostat. I'm guessing the low uses a series diode.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I was recently eyeing up an old toastmaster, made in USA, table model with mechanical controls. I still would not leave the house if I had it on. I don't have an extra outlet or counter space. Sometimes I'm cooking with two microwaves and my little turbo, all at the same time. Plus regular stove/oven. Plus toaster ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

That's true if you want to get into second order effects. But this isn't a light bulb filament. It's a heating element in direct contact with water, so the temp of the element probably isn't going to change dramatically. For example, for heating elements for spas and hot tubs, the rated power is given as 4X when going from 120V to 240V. The one in my spa is rated at 1500W at 120V, 6000W at 240V. With the cooker you'd see some increase in resistance and it wouldn't be exactly 4X, but it would be in the ballpark.

Reply to
trader4

My cooker has a removable ceramic pot. There is air between the pot and inner metal wall, and the heater is on the inside. For the pot to get to boiling, the air must be a lot hotter. I could try measuring it, but probably not.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Pedantic response - The cooker would produce about 4x the heat (briefly, before it burned out).

As Frank notes, the heat may boil out the water, which does not improve the cooked product.

In any case, cooking rate, like other chemical reactions, in general approximately doubles for every 10 degrees C temperature rise.

Reply to
bud--

Preheat liquid ingrediants to near boiling point in microwave before adding them to crockpot.. That will halve your cooking time..

Reply to
T. Keating

And also add a folded towel on top of crockpot and two longest sides to prevent heat loss. Remove once contents start boiling..

Reply to
T. Keating

te:

revent heat loss.

No need. The post is from April. Even with the slowest, slow cooker, the meal was done a long time ago.

Reply to
trader4

Preheat Crockpot with boiling water before adding ingredients

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Seems like a better idea to just stick the crock it in a warm oven.

Fill huge pot with water, boil, pour into crock, empty water back into crock, let it cool, pour water in garden or wash with it, whatever.

Seems like a lot of work (and fuel) to cut a small amount out of the cook time.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...my original post was a joke.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

# # Seems like a better idea to just stick the crock it in a warm oven. # # Fill huge pot with water, boil, pour into crock, empty water back into # crock, let it cool, pour water in garden or wash with it, whatever. # # Seems like a lot of work (and fuel) to cut a small amount out of the # cook time. # # Oh yeah, I almost forgot...my original post was a joke. #

And we're supposed to guess that it's a joke because.....

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Because I said...

"Some foods take 6 - 8 hours."

Here's a couple of excerpts from typical slow cooker recipes...

"Brown ground beef and drain....Repeat tortillas and other layers two times. Cover and cook on low 6 - 8 hours"

"Pour the sauce over the meat. Cover and cook in the slow cooker on low heat for 6 - 8 hours or until the brisket falls apart."

Some readers got the joke, some, well, not so much.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So by making a statement that was true, we are supposed to interpret it as a joke ?

By your definition of a joke, if someone comes and states the sky is blue is supposed to be funny ???

Hello ? Anyone home ??

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Because Derby Dad's original post mentioned hooking the too slow cooker to 240 vac. Doing so would cut the cooking time in half he theorized.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Those of us with a dry sense of humor noticed the play on words. Slow cooker not fast enough?

Since you are not into cooking, perhaps you can tell the other guy where to get the replacement post.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Bet you'd like Stephen Wright

Ed Pawlowski