Are my arms too short or is my saw too long?

At a yard sale, I bought a nice mitre box and saw.

I have never seen a back saw this long -- the blade alone is 22 inches.

My normal arm stroke seems to be about 14 inches. I'm 5'8" tall.

I've never thought that a crosscut saw was too long for me.

Serious question: Should I be learning to take longer strokes with this saw, and others, or is this saw designed for guys much taller than I?

Reply to
mm

Mine's the same way. The less often you change directions, the smoother the cut will be. Learn to adjust to it. It's worth the trouble. And, don't force it. Just let the weight of the saw itself do the work.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's just designed to cut wider planks. Cutting a

16" board with a 16" saw is a PITA.
Reply to
Goedjn

Thanks to both of you.

Reply to
mm

The little lady says long strokes are good. I've never seen her use a miter saw so how would she know? Crazy, eh?

Reply to
Craven Morehead