My Slow Cooker Takes Too Long

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the cooking time in half.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

i realize this is a joke/troll, but just to play along..

Watts = V^2/R

so if you hook it to 240 instead of 120, it would take 1/4 the time.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

That is asssuming that it did not explode or something worse.

Reply to
hrhofmann

To unpeel another layer of the obviousness onion, it wouldn't do so much good for "slow cooking", either.

Reply to
krw

You could put more wood on the fire. You could grease your electrons to the current would flow faster. Is this the place to mention WD-40?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That's nothing, I have a fast cooker that cooks too fast. I wonder if I hooked it to a couple of flashlight batteries if that would slow it down? It's hell when you try to cook something and it cooks before you can get a plate from the cabinet. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

That is why it is called a SLOW COOKER> ww

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the cooking time in half.

Reply to
WW

Yeahbut. There is rabbit slow and turtle slow.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Does something need to be lubricated?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Idiot. Watts = Volts X Amps X PF So it would be twice the watts if the volts were doubled.

Also. Watts = amps X amps X resistance.

Reply to
harry

It is intended to cook tough and cheaper cuts of meat, so pointless speeding it up.

Reply to
harry

That's nothing, I have a fast cooker that cooks too fast. I wonder if I hooked it to a couple of flashlight batteries if that would slow it down? It's hell when you try to cook something and it cooks before you can get a plate from the cabinet. o_O

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Derby Dad's electrons must be rusty if his slow cooker is slow. Maybe percussive maintenance would be the answer.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Higher voltage is not going to increase the boiling point of water. Get yourself a pressure cooker - if they are still legal ;)

Reply to
Frank

As usual, the village idiot has once again demonstrated his incompetence. Mark has it right. With a resistance load, doubling the voltage increases the power (watts) by 4. That is because of the simple fact that doubling the voltage also doubles the current. 2 x 2 = 4.

Got it now harry, or as usual, do you want to argue on and further make an ass of yourself?

Reply to
trader4

You need a Weber grill with liquid oxygen assist

Mitt Romley

Ah, so if volts doubles PF drops in half? ...on a heating element? This must be some Brit physics to add to the Usenet physics flying around here.

Where did the PF go, harry? More Brit physics?

Reply to
krw

Too late, he did that years ago.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yup I have slow cookers to cook slow, and pressure cookers to cook fast. And a whole bunch of pots and pans to cook things in between..

Reply to
Attila Iskander

I understand they have self powered models now, but you have to be careful as they have a tendency to overpressurize.

Reply to
Robert Neville