Muriatic Acid? Snake?

Lesley:

LS> All of a sudden I'm having problems with my toilet. It flushes but the LS> bowl doesn't empty all the way and I have to use a plunger to get the LS> water level down to where it was when I first moved in two weeks ago. LS> Everything was fine until Sunday evening. LS> LS> If I'm CERTAIN that nothing was flushed down there that isn't supposed LS> to be flushed down the toilet, why would all of a sudden it start to LS> act that way? Without getting too graphic, let's just say I had some LS> guests over that evening and I think one of them had an acute LS> gastro-enterological reaction to the pizza we ordered (it seemed to be LS> seasoned strangely, like tacos, so I'm not surprised). LS> LS> A friend of mine told me to use muriatic acid. To empty the toilet, LS> dry it out and then let the acid sit in the bowl for about an hour LS> before flushing it down with a bucket of water. On the other hand, my LS> sister said I should get a snake. She said there could be roots LS> blocking a drain pipe, but if that's the case, why ALL OF A SUDDEN are LS> these roots a problem? Everything was fine until someone flushed the LS> toilet Sunday evening, and it hasn't emptied right since then. LS> Any ideas?

My guess is possibly one of the guests either flushed a tampon down the toilet or a lot of toilet paper/Kleenex. If you do have a root problem the excess paper product could get caught in the roots, causing slow drainage.

It's also possible an extremely dry stool could have gotten stuck in the trap within the toilet, but seems it should have rehydrated and been swept away by other flushes by now.

  • When I run out of Serial Port... I use Chablis instead!
Reply to
barry martin

Now THAT sounds exactly like what could be causing my problem. I do have some sort of automatic deodorizer attached to the bowl. I've never used it before so I don't even recall what brand it is. The current status: sometimes the toilet flushes fine, sometimes it doesn't and the water level remains high in the bowl unless I plunge it down. This morning it flushed fine both times I flushed it.

So whatever is wrong with the toilet, either it has permanently righted itself (and it will continue to flush propertly from now on) or, if it doesn't keep flushing correctly, I have to assume there's something wrong that a plumber will need to deal with. I guess I can live with that.

Thanks for all the comments. This group is priceless!

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley See

Reply to