glow Ignition and gas smell

I replaced the glow ignition in my Kenmore oven because the old one was not glowing. The new one glows and allows gas to flow, however, it is not igniting the gas in the oven. THe ignition glow piece was remounted in the same spot as the old one,. Could it be that the glow ignition is not close enough to the burner to ignite? I will examine the gas burner for any "blowouts: as reported in the posts as well. Any advise would help.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Hi,

Model#? Kenmore is made by several different companies.

model# helps.

With the same style as the original?

Too far away ( bent bracket maybe ), some of the burner holes are clogged, wrong ignitor, burner has spider web or such inside hampering gas flow, gemlins.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Hi Mike,

That's good information from Jeff. Assuming that you replaced with the same style igniter, I'd only add the possibility that the oven valve is also bad. It's not common, but I've seen them fail this way.

They can open, but not far enough to allow full gas flow and ignition. Seems to happen most often with the GE built KM ovens (mod numbers starting with

362.), and after the igniter has failed completely.

Hope that's of some help...

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

Acts 4:12

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Does anybody know how those late 1940/1950 hand held gas igniters worked. Today igniters seem to use a pilot light (with protective thermocouple shut off etc.) or a piezo electric generated spark to ignite the gas. The ones I recall were a small wire handle with a small piece of some kind of chemical material mounted in a coil at one end. You held that end in the stream of gas and the little lump of material got hot and ignited the gas. IIRC they didn't last that long; maybe a couple of weeks. Was some kind of chemical reaction I guess? We bought them at the hardware store; for a few pennies each, back then. Comment welcome. Terry

Reply to
Terry