Mr. Coffee parts rip-off

TomKan wrote:

I would replace the switch AND the light just for the satisfaction of doing it and beating the system once again.
'Course I've got my 50 year old "hell boxes" with zillions of different switches and pilot lamps in them. I've left word for my survivors to pour them all into my coffin when I die...Who says you can't take 'em with you. <G>
You can probably salvage the light part and just have to get a new switch.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
I would replace the switch AND the light just for the satisfaction of doing it and beating the system once again. <SNIPPED FOR BREVITY> You can probably salvage the light part and just have to get a new switch.
Nope, all one little unit. I could put a toggle/rocker/whatever switch on it, but the wife uses this pot. I drink decaf by the pot, she wants a couple of cups of regular in the morning. So, I have my 12 cup brewer, she has her 4 cup job. She leaves the unit turned on even WITH a pilot light, imagine if it had none. And no, don't need a unit with a two hour shutoff. I notice you have ..... (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE).... on your post. Can you tell me what this means? Particularly the '57 part.
TomKan wrote: <snipped>

Your having to ask that question explains why you aren't challenged to spend three or four hours of your time engineering and fabricating a clever way of installing a separate pilot lamp onto your $10 coffee maker. <G>
But, since you had to ask; "Brass Rat" is what my college's school ring has long been referred to, because the colors of brass and gold are similar and the school's mascot, a beaver (which looks sort of rat like) is located on its top where other school's rings usually have a gemstone. Alumni sometimes identify themselves as "Brass Rats".
See:
http://www-tech.mit.edu/V123/N7/7ringpremier.7n.html
The '57 can be calculated backwards from my 50th college reunion which is coming up in two years.
I'll let you figure out the rest...
Have a happy holiday weekend guys,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Lighted 120V switches are pretty common...Radio Shack if nothing else. It'll look like a hack, but it'll be an operational hack.
Had a similar experience trying to replace a switch on a Shopvac. Trivial to replace, but trying to find a suitable replacement was like pulling teeth, since the part wasn't available from the Shopvac folks.
I've found over the years that a $15 coffee maker seems to last just as long as a $60 coffee maker. I buy the $15 el-cheapo that has no bells and whistles and chunk it the first time it sputters. RM ~

Go to a local Goodwill or Salvation Army, etc. and look for an old used maker for $3 and get your switch out of it. Keep the rest of it for spares.
If you can make this work, you'll have a digital clock & timer as well. And it's only $5:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=MCT-3&type=store
-Tim