motor running backwards

I have a DC electric winch that now only runs one way(winds up). I need it to run both ways(unwind)). How do you make a DC motor run backwards?

Reply to
herb white

By reversing the wires leading to it. There are all sorts of winch controllers for sale on line, of course. You might find them at your local hardware or farm supply store. Is there a place nearby that sells ATVs or side by sides? There might be some there.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Here is one. It is 24v coil but they have a 12v if that is what you need

gfretwell

Did it ever run the other way? Maybe there's a cog that has to be released to pull the cable out of the winch. If so, you'll still have to do that when reversing the current.

Reply to
micky

That is true, typically boat trailer winches only wind up but I imagine they will run backward if you swap the wires. I never tried. It does depend on the type of motor I guess.

Reply to
gfretwell