I just bought a ten year old house with air exchanger and just noticed
some mold on most of the windows. It doesn't look like it is between
the panes. It looks like it's between the outside of the exterior
glass and the vinyl border. I can see it looking out from the inside
(green against the white vinyl) but don't see the same thing when I'm
outside looking in.
So, I don't think the seals are gone. The black rubber between the
panes looks clean. They are regular double pane casement windows. And
yes, we get a lot of rain here. LOL
Anything I can do to get rid of the mold?
What makes you think it is mould (rather than the way the
interior rubber cushioning reacts to sunlight)? The
windows were sealed at the factory and it is not likely
mould spores both were present and could find nutritive
materials within the seal.
If it were reacting to sunlight, I would expect the north facing
windows to have none - but they do. And since the growth is on the
exterior side, it's sheltered from the sun (there is none on the
interior pane anywhere - which is exposed to sunlight). It's also only
occurring on the bottom portion and at no other part of the window, so
if it were sun, it would affect the entire window equally. The colour
of the growth is green and being in a sheltered part of the window,
with a wet climate, it's not hard to determine it's mold or some form
of growth that shouldn't be there.
The only suggestion I've gotten is to use clear caulk on the lip of
the window on the outside since the water is obviously getting in
behind the vinyl. Barring any other suggestions, I will try that. If I
can cut off the supply of moisture, it should kill what is growing
It's not easily accessible. Even if I could, I see no reason to test
it. It's on the exterior of the window so that it's not affecting the
internal air quality.
I just need to find a way to keep the moisture out so that it doesn't
spread any farther. Soaking the area with the javex based solution
then caulking it seems to be the only solution.
He doesn't need to remove the glass. He's already stated that the
mildew/mold is between the outer piece of glass and the stop.
Also, w/o knowing exactly what kind of window that he has, most likely
the glass is also sealed to the inner frame...not just sitting there
with only the stops to hold it in place.
Spray bottle with a mixture of bleach and water or straight bleach
will take care of the problem.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.