Behr Paint

Purchased Behr paint for bathroom and bedroom. Bath done, looks fine. Painter came in for an estimate for the bedroom and sneered at Behr paint saying painters did not think it of good quality in spite of Consumer Reports. Any informed opinions?

Thanks.

Reply to
Pointer

Pointer wrote in news:j98mlg$7fa$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I've used Behr paints for years, and never had any issues to speak of. The stuff seems to go on easily and last well. It stands up nicely to the repeated cleaning that's necessary when you have kids in the house.

What did your painter say WAS of good quality?

Reply to
Tegger

He suggested Sherman Williams which I've used often and have never had a problem.

Reply to
Pointer

Used about 80 gal primer and topcoat (each) on the old barn...went on well, covered well and has held up (10 yr so far). AFAICT it's as good as the equivalently priced (and their best isn't much, if any, cheaper than the S-W or others of similar price/quality point). Only reason went w/ it was this is small market and the S-W folks didn't want to give any break on pricing to individual while the Borg did. Normally wouldn't make the trip (65 mi one-way) but had other reasons to be there and they did ship direct as well so was a couple-$K less overall which worth the hassle...

Not used their interiors; I'm happy w/ the Glidden Spred for interior use which is the "house brand" the local DoItBest stocks. It also isn't much less but some...

S-W's 40-yr was used on the church by the professional painting contractor after the major hailstorm 6-7 years ago. It has also held up for the most part; some places are showing but probably again more that on such large areas of old buildings it's impossible to get every square inch _completely_ prepared. I've no doubt the other similarly-priced paints w/ the same preparation would have performed about the same.

IMO, the whole thing has to be a comparison of similar products in similar environment on same preparation level. Generally the comparisons aren't so good about whether the products compared are really comparable.

I've seen Consumer Reports comparisons that included the high-priced spread in comparisons w/ the WalMart S-W made that is generally a third or so less. When looking one finds the amounts of pigment and the higher-costing materials in them are where the difference is. Of course, there may not be any truly equivalents on the WalMart shelves to compare to.

--

Reply to
dpb

Pointer wrote in news:j98u47$qdf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Sherwin Williams sells quite a lot more paint to the trade than to the consumer market, so maybe he's just used to S-W. Or maybe he uses so much paint that he's got the experience to see differences that would be too tiny for a home-user to identify.

Reply to
Tegger

That's probably the correct answer. I doubt there's 2% difference between the major brands of paint at the same price points.

I usually go with the manufacturer that has the best looking paint chicks.

Reply to
HeyBub

***Chicks?

My local Benjamin Moore dealer just has plain old paint CHIPS. Also, they do not have those electronic paint analyzers that have been discussed recently. I did find one at a large local homeowners/lumber yard/garden place. But the paint dept guy said you have to hold a paint chip in front of it. So that shoots down my idea of bringing in a picture whose mat I want to match.

Speaking of BM, do they, in your opinion, fit into the 2% difference you mention above?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u24g2000pru.googlegroups.com:

How dull. I prefer the chicks. Assuming they're human and female, of course, and young and pretty and have hot bods, and...I'd better shut up now before the wife catches me typing this...

Reply to
Tegger

Higgs Boson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u24g2000pru.googlegroups.com:

I've always wondered about that. Why can't they put the sensor on a hand- held gun like the bar-code scanner they use at the grocery store?

We have such a thing in my industry. Its called the Capsure, and it's even cordless.

Reply to
Tegger

Keep trying. The one at my paint dealer would work with the picture mat.

I like BM paint, but there are others that will do the job also. I've used Sherwin Williams, Pittsburgh and a couple of others with about equal results. I just avoid the really cheap stuff and it is not cheap after four coats to cover.

Never used Behr so I can't comment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Did you stir the paint before you applied it?

Reply to
HeyBub

Good paint is much easier to apply, too. Painting is a lot of work and time. Trying to save a few dollars is pointless.

I'll probably try it soon but I like BM too.

Reply to
krw

I should hope so. If exterior paint doesn't last a minimum of 5 to 8 years either the paint or the preparation or both were SORELY lacking.

Reply to
clare