mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

Heck, she's like family anyway. Her late father and me were friends and we did a lot of contracting work together so now when she and her mom need help with something, they call me. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I wonder if this is an example of an actual good use for WD-40? Too many people use it as a lubricant instead of what it was designed to be - a tool protective coating...

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Do they call you anything that you can repeat in polite company? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, but it's a secret. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Uh, oh...

Reply to
krw

The following spam just arrived...

Dear purchaser How are you? This is Steven from MingTong surface treatment co.ltd. Specialized in plastic component and surface treatment over 12 years.Owning the good reputation by nice price and quality.If you want to know more details please don't hesitate to contact us. Best regards, Steven chan sales manager MingTong surface treatment co.ltd.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Ask them why their plastic turns white and stinks after a few years. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Dan Espen wrote on Mon, 04 Mar 2013 11:31:47 -0500:

Thanks for the reference, but, unfortunately, there were no pictures nor any discussion of the white residue on the handles in that thread.

Reply to
Al Schmidt

Hi Jeff,

Here is a closeup of one of my 'white encrusted' screwdriver handles:

Here is a smaller picture if that's too large:

What would you suggest I do to confirm the identity of the substance?

Reply to
Danny D.

Hi Jeff,

Here is a closeup of one of my 'white encrusted' screwdriver handles:

Here is a smaller picture if that's too large:

What would you suggest I do to confirm the identity of the substance?

Reply to
Danny D.

WD-40 is mostly marketing with a mix of 15% mineral oil and 51% mineral spirits.

< pass the popcorn >
Reply to
Danny D.

Here is a big zoomable picture of yet another of my screwdrivers with the white crust on the outside next to a battery with similar looking white powdery residue. Do you think the crud is related?

The question, since all my screwdrivers are from the 1980s, is why some and not others would have the white stuff. (Note: I inscribed the date on this screwdriver in 1981.)

I do think these white ones were those that I worked in hospitals with at that time but I don't know if there is any connection.

Reply to
Danny D.

Scrape off some with a knife. Put the scrapings on a tea spoon, spatula, or metal something. Heat over a low flame. The melting point of acrylic is 320F (160C). Monitor the temp with an IR thermometer. If it melts and is kinda rubbery when warm, it's plastic. If it burns, it might be mold.

Your screwdriver shows a finer pattern of plastic rot than my hex wrench. It looks similar but may be a slightly different plastic type (presumed to be acrylic). I can't tell from here.

If you feel ambitious, scrape off a sample, and mail it to me (address below is my office) and I'll put it under the microscope and post a photo. Be careful with the packaging so the USPS doesn't think it's Anthrax or cocaine.

Any hint as to the manufacturer of the screwdriver?

I'm still not 100.0% sure about the white stuff. For example, what's this?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The stuff leaking out of the alkaline battery is potassium hydroxide. It can be cleaned off with any weak acid. Just smear on some vinegar to the battery first. If it fizzes and foams, try doing the same to the screwdriver. If you get the same fizz and foam, it's potassium hydroxide.

Well, if it is mold, it has to be one of the slowest growing mold infestations I have ever seen. I used to manage my fathers apartment building and I know (black) mold when I see it. The plastic stuff is nothing like it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oops. The electrolyte is potassium hydroxide. The white residue is potassium carbonate. 2KOH + CO2 -> K2CO3 + H2O Sorry(tm).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff,

They're all Craftsman screwdrivers, all bought in the

1980s from Sears. The 3 I have with the white stuff were used when I worked in a hospital fixing biomed equipment.

I'll get it to you; I can drive to your office also. It would be worth the trip just to put this decades-old mystery to rest.

We could also try the Myth-Busters up in San Francisco, but this might not have the cachet of blowing things up (but maybe we'll find a superbug?). :)

(I'll take this over to email for the visit as I'm not so free with my personal information as you are.)

Reply to
Danny D.

As the OP, you have more responsibilities than the rest of us.

As such, would you kindly snap a photo of what you're talking about so the rest of us can compare it to our screwdriver handles.

Reply to
Danny D.

No, it's a car wax!

Indeed.

Reply to
krw

Kill someone with the screwdriver. CSI will identify it.

Reply to
krw