mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

Here you go:

$20driver$20handle/alt.home.repair/6F2DSkPIgM0/qe7WX3mCR7IJ

Dan Espen

That was a discussion over the Xcelite and Craftsman nutdrivers that stink. There is nothing in that thread that I can find that even mentions "mold" on the plastic handles. Please try to stay on topic.

There is also some wrong information in the thread.

  1. It's not the plastic handles that stinks. It's the caesin (milk based) plastic cases that reek. I have several of these and can confirm that the drivers are fine and the cases are the source of the smell.
  2. The handles are made from acrylic and not vinyl as claimed. Vinyl is quite flexible and very different from the hard acrylic. Hoewever, I have NOT been able to definitively identify the type of plastic used in my Vaco and Craftsman screwdrivers. My guess is acrylic, but I'm not 100.0% sure. Maybe a burn test:
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks. Hopefully that balances my previous screwups, errors, and bad logic. It's impossible to write as much as I do, and not get something wrong occasionally.

That doesn't bother me much. I'm used to it. What bothers me are one-line postings, that offer little thought and less information. Unfortunately, many web forum pages have so many navigation aids and so much advertising on their pages, that long and detailed replies seem to be discouraged. The resultant one-liners are of little value.

To get a decent answer on usenet, one needs to provide:

  1. What problem are you trying to solve or what are you trying to accomplish? (Keep it simple)
  2. What do you have to work with? (Make, model, version, etc)
  3. What have you done so far and what happened?
  4. Where are you stuck? It is possible to get answers without all the aforementioned information, but it is much more difficult and tends to attract vague guesswork type answers. Besides, my crystal ball is being repaired by my wizard, so I can't temporarily guess what someone is asking.

Thanks again. I did the usual Google searching for prior research into the nature of the plastic "mold" and found little besides bad guesses and vague assertions. I found plenty of complaints, but no analysis. That's why I decided that it was time to dig in and analyze the stuff. The convenient discovery of my drawer full of "moldy" nut drivers also inspired the investigation.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The stink and the white powder are part of the same process.

Do some searches, I've already supplied working keywords.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Much as I appreciate your efforts, I don't consider myself responsible for proving *your* point. If you believe that the white powder in the handle, and the smell coming from the case, are one and the same, methinks it is your responsibility to supply the relevant links which demonstrate the connection and describes the process. The above URL never even mentioned white powder or a similar problem. Got a better URL?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've been sniffing Xcelite (and similar) tools on and off for years, and I always assumed the odor came from the handle, not the case.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It does. The ones without a case smell just as bad (just got a bunch of screwdrivers at work last week).

Reply to
krw

Hmmm... I washed the tools and seperated the case from the tools for a few days. I found that the odor came from the case, not the tools. However, I did that maybe 15 years ago and only vaguely remember the circumstances. I have some Xcelite nut drivers in a plastic case. If they stink, I'll try the test again.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'll bet she said that to all the boys! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I teach my tiny girlfriends to tell a funny looking guy who asks for their hand in marriage to reply. "I can't possibly marry you, I'm not an ordained minister." ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Then they call you a cab?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

One of my baby girlfriends sent me a picture of her daughters. I've known her since she was a little girl and now she's 30 and has two munchkins of her own. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I took some more photos, but they were about the same as the others. The particle sizes are too thick to get a decent photo due to the lack of depth of field. I just wanted one that shows the plastic like shine, that is characteristic of plastics, and not mold. I'll melt or set fire to the stuff later this week.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That joke goes back at least as far as William S Gilbert. He was tall and authoritative-looking. A man mistook him for one of those people who stand of hotels, and asked him to "Call me a cab".

"Very well... You're a four-wheeler."

"Wha...?"

"You said to call you a cab -- and I couldn't very well call you hansom." (punning on handsome)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Not yours?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I know it's an old joke. I use them as throwaways. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, not mine. When she was little I always asked her if she would marry me when I grew up but she grew up to be a beautiful young woman who met and married a handsome young man and they now have two little daughters. The oldest is three and the youngest 7 months old. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The screwdrivers have never been in a case and still smell of xcelite. I also have a set of ~50YO Xcelite nutdrivers that still stink but they are in a case. No white powder, though.

Reply to
krw

You snooze, you lose! ;-)

Reply to