Miter Saw Utiility Vehicle

I was looking for a proper stand for a new Hitachi 12" sliding compound miter saw that SWMBO got me for a birthday, after determining that my Dewalt folding stand wasn't sturdy enough.

At Home Depot I found they have a Ridgid "Miter Saw Utility Vehicle" (MSUV) which has a large pair of wheels for mobility and folds up for storage, originally $199, now on closeout for $99. This model has a solid top with holes predrilled for Ridgid tools. At HD it is being replaced by a newer version with rails instead of the solid top, so that brackets which fit the rails can be used to allow several different tools to be mounted on the newer item.

I bolted my new Hitachi to a piece of 3/4" plywood, then used the existing boltholes to mount the plywood to the stand, and now have a very mobile but very stable setup for the SCMS. A contractor friend is using the same MSUV as the base for a tablesaw he deploys to job sites. Considering the markdown from $199 to $99, this looks like a good deal, for use with my SCMS, tabletop drill press, etc., which I can move around or take outside when I have bulky items on which to work.

Reply to
JimR

Hi Jim, We have a Ridgid Compound sliding Mitre saw mounted on one of these saw SUVs. It works great and is very convienent. HOWEVER Just a couple of weeks ago my husband was up in the shop and was working on a project. He reached over to move the unit just a bit to one sde. When he grabed the side rail and pulled, it collapsed on him. More than that, it pinned his left hand inbetween the rails much like a pair of scissors. I was at the house and had no idea he was trapped up there. The release mechanism was on the left hand side and he could not get his hand out of it, finally he was able to twist around enough to get ahold of the release mechanism. He nearly lost three fingers and is definitely losing two fingernails.

So, all I can say is if you buy one, be sure to check it out closely and never pull it by one of the side rails.

My husband ia a pretty tough guy, heavy equipment mechanic/operator and when he finally made it to the house he nearly passed out.

Kate O|||||||O

[...]

Kate

[snip]

Kate -- thanks for the heads up -- perhaps that's why these were on closeout? I'll be careful. Regards --

Reply to
JimR