Mirror seeping black?

I have a mirror in my bathroom and it is starting to go black at the bottom, almost as if black is seeping into it. It's starting to move up the mirror which I obviously don't want.

Does anybody know the cause of this?

Thanks

Reply to
adventurous101

Moisture and oxidation of the "silver" surface on the back of the glass.

You could try sealing it with varnish or a like product, but I would be careful about that unless it was a last attempt. If the mirror is just a mirror, I would replace it. If it were something special, I would contact the pros. But if it is not something special buy you would like to give a try at saving it, then try sealing the back from air and moisture.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

typically acids cause this. the edges may not be sealed, getting damp, and causing it. it won't stop, and there's not any cure for it.

Reply to
charlie

Hey, thanks for your time, it's appreciated :)

Reply to
adventurous101

Hey, thanks for your time, it's appreciated :)

Reply to
adventurous101

Usually it is caused by "Windex" or some other ammonia based glass cleaner.

Reply to
gfretwell