Minor Mystery

Doubtfull as the US seller just buys them from the same place you buy it from in China. The only "advantage" is possibly faster (but more expensive) shipping and giving an American a bonus for (maybe) having it in stock stateside. Here in Canada I can often get the stuff faster from China directly instead of detouring it through the USA.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Short answer, it determines the maximum frequency you can reliably measure. More is not always better. The rule of thumb is the stated bandwidth for a digital scope should be 5 times the frequency you're interested in. For example the Atmel chips used in the Arduinos typically are clocked at 8 or 16 MHz. The Z80 family, which still is one of the most widely used processors for embedded systems, has a similar range. A scope with 100 MHz bandwidth would be fine. 300 MHz and you might see noise, harmonics, and so forth to confuse the issue.

From the horse's mouth...

and the 12 minute version

Sparkfun is one of the more popular outlets for hobbyists:

Adafruit is another

I've been playing around with one of these

using circuitPython. I've got a couple of the standard Arduinos that are programmed with a C/C++ subset. There is an Arduino IDE and you can tie it in with Visual Studio where with CircuitPython the interpreter is on the device and all you need is a text editor.

What are you interested in doing? A 100 MHz scope is also adequate for the ham HF bands or CBs.

Reply to
rbowman

First and most important question -- what do you want to do with it? I've always worked mostly with digital circuitry so I bias that way.

I grew up not buying Japanese stuff since my brother spent his late teens in the South Pacific. By the '80s bicycles, R/C models, and even upscale fishing poles were cornered by the Japs.

By the '90s my brother visited in his RV towing the yacht tender. One of the first things he said was 'I thought I would never buy a Japanese car...' to explain the Toyota Tercel he was towing.

That's how it is with China. Back in the '80s I favored SunTour bike components. They were a Japanese competitor to Shimano but lost the market. I just took a ride tonight and the bike has SR SunTour components -- same name but they're made in China not Osaka.

The West pissed it all away. I don't know which models are involved but there is a joke in the Triumph motorcycle circles about the new Thairumphs.

Reply to
rbowman

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 20:08:28 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

The short answer is f'n around. I am also a ham...

Reply to
Tekkie©

I lot of cool stuff came to my house. The guys were calling me for a year after I left saying they were ready to throw out more stuff, did I want to stop by. That was where I got the 2 of the 453s I gave away. They had more. This place was like the fall of Saigon when IBM was imploding, They didn't want to pay to ship anything back to Tampa or Atlanta so it was "scrap locally". One of the cool things I got was about 50 pounds of 3980 sorter parts. (Rollers. chain sprockets, bearings, pillow blocks, pins etc). Pretty handy stuff when you want to make anything with rotating machinery. I also got a box of various SSRs. (3-30v in, controlling line voltage up to 45a). Those are great to go straight from CMOS to big line powered stuff. Plenty of cool test equipment that I was the last person who could use.

Reply to
gfretwell

You also care about rise time if you are looking at digital stuff. Basically how fast does it respond to fast shots.

Reply to
gfretwell