Milk for your coffee

That started the powdered milk thread that has wandered around everywhere. If you just want milk for your coffee and it goes bad before you use it all, just buy ultra pasteurized half and half. It is a better coffee creamer anyway and the life in the fridge is months not days. The stuff I bought today 8 November, has a "pull date" of 7 January

2019 and the rule is it should really last a week after that. You can also use that for milk in a lot of things where you just need a squirt like pancakes or soups. I am using this in chicken alfredo tonight instead of heavy cream.
Reply to
gfretwell

Ingredients ? We try to buy our milk and half & half from a little market that carries Hewitt's brand ..

.. their milk contains : 1. milk .. half & half contains : 1 milk 2. cream No added sugars or chemicals like all the other brands. < not comparing the ultra expensive "organic" products > John T.

Reply to
hubops

The date on the package is fine, as long as you don't open it. Milk, cheese, packaged meats, go way beyond the package date if they are not opened. Once you open them, then the real spoilage clock starts ticking and I don't think there is much difference between milk and half and half.

Reply to
trader_4

Not really true. I have had half and half go pretty much right up to the pull date. I used it all, I didn't see it go bad. I think it may have to do with the pasteurization method or it might be the disodium phosphate and sodium citrate.

Reply to
gfretwell

I use heavy whipping cream in my coffee so go through 3 pints a week. Obviously the carton is never open long enough to spoil. Also keep my fridge at 33° F.

Reply to
Ataque Al Corazón

  Max* and I use 2% in our morning coffee . Usually manage to finish a gallon before it goes sour . *Doggus Maximus The Handsome Hairball - a 75 lb Mountain Cur . He likes beer too ... but won't touch hard liquor .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

We go through a couple of gallons of milk every week. It never has time to go bad.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli