Might a deep sink and large garbage disposer be a problem?

We are going to replace the cabinets and add a granite counter in our kitchen and part of the job is moving the sink so all the related plumbing lines will be relocated.

The contractor says for us to purchase our own undermount sink and a disposer. We found a good deal on a 10 inch deep stainless steel sink which will be another inch or so deeper due to the undermounting in the granite.

I found a 3/4 hp Sears Kenmore disposer (7 yr in home warranty!) and was wondering if this monster would be a problem to install with so deep a sink.

All the pipes and drains have to be redone so it's not a question of retro fitting them.

Does it sound like all those traps and twisty pipes will go in ok with this arrangement?

Don't forget the dishwasher hookup!

Thanks for reassurances or pointing out possible problems!

Joy

Reply to
Joy

what does the plumber say about it?

Reply to
charlie

Personally Id go for a solid surface type sink but its just preference. Dump the Sears crap and get a real disposal. A 1 hp model. In-Sink-erator works just fine.

will all fit just fine with the amount of plumbing fittings available out there. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

If you were trying to put a deeper sink into an existing location, it could be a problem, depending on how far below the sink the waste pipe coming out of the wall is. Since you're moving the sink, it should not be a problem. The disposal will have a diagram that shows the mounting limitations and the plumber can handle it. If you need to consider other models, they should be available at the manufacturers website.

3/4 hp is fine, I've never had one more powerful and never had any problems.
Reply to
trader4

ing =EF=BF=BD

el sink =EF=BF=BD

tro =EF=BF=BD

a general rule, dont buy the cheapest of anything cause its typically built for a price point and its cheaped out.

the mst expensive cater too the high end must have the best crowd price is no object.

reliable dependable is the mid price of whatever you buy

Reply to
hallerb

I don't know how big the Kenmore disposal is, but I'd lean towards something from the Insinkerator Evolution series, not just for size, but for quality. See your choices here..they even have a Compact model for tight spaces:

They make the Compact a bit smaller by using less insulation so it is

*supposedly* less quiet than some of their other models. I have one, and with the water running, I can't even tell that it is on. My old Kenmore could be heard across the street!

Another feature to look for is how the drain shield is installed. I don't know about the current Kenmore, but the shield on my old one was sandwiched between the sink and the chrome ring that holds the drain in. After a few years the rubber began to rip, which not only let noise escape, but it also spit water up at you while it was running. To replace it meant dismantling everything under the sink to drop the disposal.

The Insinkerator uses a removable shield that just drops in the top of the drain. If it ever gets old, you just toss it and insert a new one. It is baffled in such a way that it causes the running water to muffle the noise - a pretty neat design.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

One thing I liked about the Insinkerator was that the rim/ring piece you see that goes in the bottom of the sink was a higher polish and much nicer finish than the ones from other units I looked at. It's the kind of thing you probably wouldn't notice until it was too late.

Reply to
trader4

Sears doesn't make anything. The Kenmore disposers may possibly be made by InSinkErator. They look suspiciously alike. Insinkerator -

-* *

willshak

Another example of following a fad which results in expense, complications, inefficiencies and unsanitary conditions. But it will look just the pictures in the glossy brochures, so enjoy. Keep in mind the recession is real and compare budget figures for what you want with more practical installations. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thanks for all the responces so far but most of them did not address my question.

Two people said the disposer would fit under the deep sink with no problem and nobody said it would not so I feel this is the correct answer so far. I will OF COURSE ask the contractor when he is here next time, but I trust the opinions here and you guys often point out and mention things that others never think of!

I, too, think Kenmore disposers are made by Insinkerator. That's what the salesman at Sears said also. The 3/4 HP model I purchased seems nice for the price ($149 on sale) and has steel this and insulated that and a 7 year come-to-my-house warranty (I know, I know - probably only useable if it sets the house on fire). The 5/8 HP insinkerator at Lowes was $169 not on sale and had a 4 year warranty. My choice seems good to me.

The 18 gauge SS 10" deep sink was $278 at Lowes. It's the 19" x 25" model and only some big plumbing stores carried the 9 and 8 inch depths in this size but the 9 inch was about $400 and the 8 inch about $200. The 8" depth is 20 gauge instead of 18. After taking all this into consideration, we decided on the 10". Besides, it can double as a swimming pool!

None of this has any bearing on my original question, but the answers I am getting here seem to be centered around the disposer and the other items I've choosen. I don't do 'fads'. I've put a lot of research into the faucet, sink, disposer and you don't want to know how much I've learned about undercounter hard-wired 120V Xenon lights!

Good point about the removable rubber part in the disposer. I didn't know any were made that were removable. I'm also used to the built in models where, if the rubber rips, it's a hassle to replace.

So, thanks again for the current and future comments. Nobody thinks of everything and the more comments I get, the more I learn even though all I originally asked is if there would be a problem with a deep, undermounted sink and a large disposer.

Joy

Reply to
Joy

If the Kenmore is indeed made by Insinkerator, then it might have the removeable baffle.

That said, based on my experiences with other Kenmore-labled products, I'd probably pay the extra money just so I wouldn't see the Kenmore name everytime I reached for the dishwasher soap. Does that make sense? Nope...but sometimes you gotta give in to the emotions.

Reply to
DerbyDad03