Garbage Disposer dillemma

I am installing a garbage disposer in process of totally remodeling my kitchen. I never had garbage disposer before. The disposer I got is In-Sink-Erator 555sss. I always thought the garbage disposer works much like sewage ejector pump that I installed in my basement several years ago - float switch turns on where the disposer is full and turns off after grinding waste and flushing water. It turned out that my disposer and as far as I realize most of them are turned on manually and run until manually turned off. Do I understand this correct? I installed a GFCI receptacle on dedicated 20 A circuit but I assumed no switch. I find it very annoying to turn the switch on and off each time I need to use the disposer. Where do I put the switch for the disposer? Can it overheat and break if left running for prolonged time?

Reply to
Sasha

If you leave the garbage disposer running for more than a week, it might overheat.

Reply to
Joe

If your going to start to 'use the disposer,' I suggest you get a stepping stool. You also may want to mount some rails on the side of the sink. A seat couldn't hurt. And while this may be safe for a woman, it could prove considerably dangerous for a man, depending on your endowment.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Some are switched with a drain cover that turns it on when the cover is in place.

The switch us usually on the wall behind the sink You do not want that switch where a child or you may accidentally turn it on, like on the cabinet in front of the sink.

Sure, it will also damage your hearing. They are not silent. The good ones are not too noisy.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You've got to be kidding, You're remodeling your kitchen yourself, installing wiring, breakers, etc., and you don't understand how a basic garbage disposal functions? Maybe you need to hire someone who knows what they are doing, before you get hurt.

Reply to
Steven

Did you miss the part where 'Sasha' installed a sewage ejector pump in his/her basement several years ago? Yes, I think Sasha has to be kidding.

Steven wrote:

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Ah... That one got by me. I guess I was overwhelmed by the first part....

Reply to
Steven