Microsoft system built into new cars

I just saw a tv commercial where they state that the car is controlled by a Microsoft system. Now that's one scarey thought. Just think about it. You're driving down the road in your VISTA Cruiser, when suddenly your car crashes for no reason. Or what about the Blue Screen of Death. Suddenly your windshield turns blue. You can not see the road or anything outside. Your dashboard flashes a large text message reading "FATAL ERROR". Then your brakes and engine lock up at the same time, hurling your body thru glass and metal, and to your death.

Then, maybe you're lucky and dont actually have a FATAL ERROR. Instead you get in your car and turn the key. You're late for work and rushing. Your car says "Do you want to start your car". You hit the enter key. It then asks "Are you sure you want to start your car?". You hit enter. Yet another message pops up, and asks "Are you really sure?"...... And dont forget, when it comes time to turn your car off, you will have to go thru the same routine again.

The part that I find most frightening are the questions asked when you apply the brakes. You step on the brake pedal and a voice from the dashboard says "Do you want to stop?" You have to hit the enter key before the car begins to stop. Then another message asks "Are you sure you want to stop?", and finally another question asks "Are you absolutely sure?" By this time you have smashed into several other cars, rolled your car across the divider strip, and in the opposite lane, you can see several cars approaching at 85mph, head on, while your car is flipped on it's roof, and your car keeps asking "are you sure you want to un-click your seatbelt?"..... "Are you absolutely sure????"...... Please insert CD into drive press enter, and type your full 38 digit registration code and your personal password to un-click your seatbelt....... "Dont forget to remove your keys from the ignition and turn off the heater, radio and roll up the WINDOWS using both the XP and the VISTA buttons.

Reply to
nutso2and3

That's wonderful! Went for a flight a few years ago that was delayed... apparently one of the three computers on the plane did not agree with the other two. A whole lotta putzing by the ground crew, and finally the flight crew announced they'd have to shut down the power on the plane. They had to reboot it! I had a mental image of a computer screen in the cockpit with the FATAL ERROR message... Nelson

Reply to
Nelson Gietz

I understand that if you have a problem, most of the time it can be fixed by removing and reinstalling the windows.

Reply to
Robert Allison

You forgot to include problems with product activation and false "... Genuine Advantage" notices.

Also, it will be several minutes between entering the car and the engine starting (while the OS loads).

Reply to
RobertVA

Frequently, you can just close all the windows, get out, get back in, and re-open the windows.

Reply to
Bob F

"Could not start; engine.exe, not responding. Vehicle will start in "safe mode"; only essential functions such as Onstar data upload and auditory and GPS location and monitoring will function. Pres F+U to begin diagnosic routine."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you talking about the "Sync" system Ford is offering as an option? This doesn't actually control your car, just the audio system. See

.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Or, not reinstalling the windows.

Reply to
clifto

[snip]

That reminds me of a little story I found somewhere, where a bunch of people were invited to try out a new teleportation system. They were dematerialized. Then, unfortunately, we discover this equipment uses Windows XP.

Windows XP is something like Bill Clinton. Bad in its time but doesn't look so bad now.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Psssst! Psssssstt!!!! I belive they were joking around.....

S. Barker

You have to hold the key in the off position for 5 seconds to shut the engine off

Reply to
Eric

Anybody remember the Glasses worn by Zaphod Beblebrox (I know that spelling is wrong but hey.....) in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?? The lenses turn black moments before you were killed, so you didn't spend your last few moments worrying...

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel