Maytag washing machines: beware

On Nov 7, 2003 our Maytag Neptute washing machine (model MAH5500) quit working when it was a year and a half old. We purchased it at Home Depot. We also purchased an "extended warranty" good for 5 years, I think. We called Home Depot on Nov 7, since it was under warranty. They said that they sold the warranty to GE and that we need to call them. So we did. That was on a Friday. On the next Wednesday GE sent a "non-certified" repair person to fix the machine. He didn't know how to fix it since he was not trained on this machine, and he couldn't get parts under warranty for the same reason. So we called GE back and they said that non-certified people are not allowed to do warranty repairs (yet they sent him in the first place), so they scheduled a Maytag-certified person to call about repairing it on the next Friday. On Friday they called and said that they don't service this area, so now it's a week later and we're still trying to get GE to get someone to fix this washing machine. The door is locked and it won't run.

This is to warn people about purchasing Maytag washing machines. They don't last. The original repair person that looked at it said that they are going bad "left and right". They seem to have a stupid "wax motor" design that burns up the computer board in it, which he thinks is our problem, but is not sure. Also he said that the motor/motor controller board pair is going bad in lots of these machines. Don't buy Maytag! As it stands now we have no idea when this machine will be repaired under our warranty.

The next part of my complaint is that the GE warranty company is very incompetent. We have been talking to them for 7 days now trying to get them to get someone here to fix this machine. They now say that someone will call us next Tuesday: 10 days after our initial call to GE.

Finally, I have a complaint against Home Depot for: 1. selling our warranty contract to GE 2. selling Maytag washing machines. They should not be selling expensive junk that won't last more than a year and a half. If we had to pay outright for the repairs on this machine it would cost about $500. The computer board is $200 + wax motor + labor.

Home Depot + GE + Maytag is a very bad combination.

William

Reply to
William Wuister

Bummer! In future, do not buy a washer or dryer with elecronic controls. I was told by a competent repair technician to stay away. Electronics do not tolerate humidity very well. I guess that applies to dishwashers as well.

Reply to
Bruno

[snip]

We discovered quite by accident that the Maytag "Neptune" model is a special unit that Maytag makes for other retailers.

We were going to buy a Neptune at the Great Indoors store, priced it there, then happened to drive by a new Maytag store on our way home.

Decided to stop and price-compare.

Couldn't find the Neptune model.

Salesman explained to us that "Neptune" was a store brand, showed us the same-featured machine but labeled "Atlantis".

It was same price as the model at Great Indoors, so we bought it.

It's been nearly two years... no problems... knock on wood (we didn't buy the extended warranty).

We did have a minor problem with matching dryer with sudden on-set of noise during the warranty period. Service person showed up the next day and removed a penny from between the drum and housing at no charge.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

It definitely applies to dishwashers. We pulled an ISE dishwasher out after four years that drove us crazy the whole four years with electronic breakdowns. We also had a Whirlpool refrigerator with an insane electronic alert that beeped three times every minute if the temperature in the refrigerator or freezer wasn't exactly where it had been set. There was no way to stop the beeping....you just had to wait till the temperature got where it should be.

Reply to
CAStinneford

Next time buy your appliances from a store that sells nothing but appliances! You will find the service is better and the prices are the same! We just bought a range and fridge. We shopped around, even stopped at Home Depot, Lowes an Best Buy even though I would never buy an appliance from any of them. stopped at our favorute appliance store. The items we bought were either the same price or less than any of the chain stores. The fridge came damaged, but no problem, they loaded it back on the truck and brought over a differant one.

I but nails, screws, and perhaps non-powered hand tools from Home Depot. Power tools, electronics, appliances and so on I buy local so I can bitch in person if I need to, but you know, I never needed to! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Right. Think about how Home Depot works. They sell the appliances and service contracts. Then they get a bunch of local repair shops under contract to supply the service. But this is just what the local shops do anyway. HD has the volume-price advantage and makes a bigger profit, however. (Brass Rat, 1963)

Reply to
William W. Plummer

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:28:44 -0500, William Wuister wrote (with possible editing):

...snip

Unfortunately, many larger manufacturers sell models to big box stores without warranties of any kind. The big box store either arranges for warranties or doesn't. Happened recently to a friend who bought an RCA flat screen tv. It quit and RCA wouldn't honor the Circuit City warranty, they said the set was sold "as is". Circuit City gave him the runaround for a few weeks until he had his lawyer write them a letter.

I agree with the other poster - buy from appliance stores, particularly ones with good reputations. They will have trained, factory-certified repair folks.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

Not true. You were mis informed. Neptune is indeed a Maytag model name. This is their front loading machine. Don't beleive me? Check out the maytag website. This is their most expensive machine. It is in no way a store brand.

Maybe they didn't have one. They exist. They also cost around $1000 plus or minus.

Wrong. Neptune is not a store brand. Atlantis is an upscale top loading model. This salesman either was lying to you to make a sale, or he was truly ignorant of the Maytag model line.

We have an Atlantis washer, trouble free for 4 years and going strong.

We've had good luck with our Atlantis, too. I avoid extended warranties, I think they are a sucker bet.

Good warranty service.

Reply to
DaveG

It's funny how the "top end" machines seem to be the ones with the electronic controls instead of the more reliable mechanical controls found on cheaper models.

Reply to
Bruno

Appears my memory served me poorly... but there definitely was a model at Great Indoors that looked identical (and with same features) to the Atlantis we bought but with a different name.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Not when it comes to paying for them to be repaired. :(

It's easier to program an electronic control to have multiple features, many of which couldn't be done with mechanical controls. That how most manufacturers can justify the higher product price.

I find many of these added features are seldomly used by the appliance owner anyway but it's very difficult to find a major appliance without all the electronics. :(

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

I have a 7 year old Maytag Neptune with mechanical controls. Works great.

Your beef is with Home Depot and the warranty company. Pull out the warranty. It might say if they can't fix it you get a new one. Call up the Home depot manager. Tell him if he doesn't get the machine repair for you immediately, you will get a parade permit and stand outside his store with a sign and handouts warning people not to buy appliance there. Tell him the tv stations and attorney general will be called next. I bet he solves your problem. The Neptune are not dying left and right. The repair people are liars.

Reply to
Art Begun

You might want to call Maytag to see what they suggest before you get pissed at them for what GE and Home Depot does.

My Maytage Neptune is great and just gave it to my parents after 7 years of use and bought the slightly bigger Sears/Whirlpool HE3T. It vibrates incredibly and after fixing 2 defects in it that might have caused the vibration it still vibrates and may have to be exchanged for a replacement. Can't be the signs at Sears which say Satisfaction Guaranteed.

called

machine.

repairs

Reply to
Art Begun

I'd endorse that advice. Maytag have generally been good at "stepping up to the plate" in these sorts of cases.

The original repair person that looked at it said that they

This WAS a problem with the early Neptunes - your model incorporates a redesigned door boot with improved drainage to stop this problem. I've never heard of a 5500 or 7500 (the touch screen model) with this issue, though the other appliance guys on here may have a different story....

Again, I haven't heard of any widespread problems of this nature, but see above...

As I understand it, the extended warranties from HD have always been through GE. Problem seems to be that they don't have adequate training and/or parts support to back up these warranties (at least when it comes to other manufacturers' product) in a reasonable manner.

Reply to
Mad Mac

To correct my typo:

"Can't be" should have read "Can't beat"

Satisfaction

design

Reply to
Art Begun

Has GE offshored the people who answer their phones to India ?

Reply to
Steve Stone

"Ensignia" is the name for the "Atlantis" that is used at the Great Indoors and Sears.

Reply to
Tom