maytag washer problem

I got a new maytag washer the other day.

My question is on new washers is the agitator locked and has to be unlocked before use?

Here is what happened, the person that came to install it turned it on and it started to fill with water, he then put it in the rinse cycle and it ran for a few seconds and stopped. it tripped the GCFI circuit in the plug, reset the outlet and tried again. again same thing, we then tried another non GFCI Outlet, it worked for a little longer started to smell and smoke a bit and then blew a fuse.

What could be wrong with this washer?

Reply to
Ron

It's in need of repair. Perhaps the motor has a winding shorted to ground?

Reply to
CJT

If this is a brand new washer, return it and don't settle for a repair on the one that is broken.

Reply to
nospamtodd

Who cares? That is why they have a warranty. The dealer will fix it or replace it at no cost to you.

It may have been defective from the factory or damaged in transit. Call the dealer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I called Home Depot where I got it and they said the policy was if it does nt work they will come and repair, now if it is damaged or scratched or anything like that they will replace it. I asked the lady where I should kick it so its damaged :) They are bringing a new one tomorow.

Reply to
Ron

There should be uncrating and installation procedures with the washer. Maybe with the owners manual , maybe printed on the box.

Make sure you dont sign for delivery if there is any question of it working properly.

Reply to
marks542004