Maytag Atlantis Dryer DEAD

My Maytag Atlantis Dryer (6.5 years old) is dead. When I push the start button nothing happens. The light comes on when the door is open. I turned off the circuit breaker to the dryer for 10 minutes (can't move it to unplug it, and when it was first plugged in it sparked so I'm not too anxious to get in there and unplug it anyway). Still nothing. The drum inside will move if I push it, but I have to push it pretty hard.

(I am a woman with a bad back - that's why I can't move the dryer or push the drum too hard).

Anyway - I can't fix this myself so the question is a little easier.

Should I have someone come in and repair it or should I buy a new one (which I can do for less than $300)? What is the usual cost to fix a fuse vs. a bad motor? I can't diagnose it on my own but I want to take an informed gamble:) ie: if it's going to be over $100 just to have the fuse fixed, and over $300 for a new motor- makes sense to get a new dryer. But if to fix a fuse is less than $50 (incl. house call) then maybe I'll risk the house call.

Thanks in advance, Lindsey

Reply to
Lindsey

Usual service call is $130 non refundable diagnostic. I've seen some real decent deals on high capacity dryers at HH Greg for under 300. They will cart off your old dryer for free and instll the new unit.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks MeatPlow! That's exactly what I needed to know. I did find a dryer for $299 (including tax, new vent and a service plan) - it's extra for delivery and install (since it's so inexpensive) but it's a

6.5 cu ft dryer so I'm satisfied.

I initially assumed it was the motor and would be more expensive to fix than to replace for $300, but after doing some research on usenet, I realized it could be as simple as the fuse. What I didn't know was how much it would be to fix just a fuse, and now I see by the time I'm done with the estimate and the fuse itself - I'm probably half way to a new dryer.

If it was you - would you fix it or replace it?

Thanks again for your quick reply. I love usenet:).

Lindsey

Reply to
Lindsey

Just replaced a 25 year old Sears Kenmore HD set with a matched set GE for $600. Bigger CU feet on each, what a blessing. Included was shipping and install plus the toadies dragged away the old units. My girlfriend is happy, I'm happy, we have clean clothes and Harley shirts. :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

25 YEARS!!?!? You certainly got your money's worth. I don't think any washer/dryer built today is built to last that long. I think they figured out if they made them to break, you'd buy another one more frequently :(.

Mine is only 6.5 years old. I don't think it should need to be replaced in less than 7 years. I bet if I bought it 25 years ago - it wouldn't have broke down in 6.5 years!!!!

Lindsey

Reply to
Lindsey

Yeh the Kenmore line (whirlpool) was built to last back then. It's a shame that now it's 5-7 years warranty.

My mom still has a set of Maytag in her basement that' 30 years old. I actually thought about offering her my set and buying her new. That old Maytag stuff is bullet proof.

Reply to
Meat Plow

just replaced my 23 year old Maytag washer/dryer with high efficiency units.

the Maytags were still working. sold them at garage sale.

Yeh the Kenmore line (whirlpool) was built to last back then. It's a shame that now it's 5-7 years warranty.

My mom still has a set of Maytag in her basement that' 30 years old. I actually thought about offering her my set and buying her new. That old Maytag stuff is bullet proof.

Reply to
newman

Dryers often have a couple of thermal cut outs. Some what like fuses. As new as this unit, I'd be tempted to try and find an appliance repairman. Anyone other than Shears and Rowbunk.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Report back on how good a job they do - cleaning and drying.

Reply to
HeyBub

i can already say that the washer get clothes exceptioally clean without using much water. you do need to use HE soap.

Report back on how good a job they do - cleaning and drying.

Reply to
newman

== Consider yourself fortunate. My recent Maytag lasted about 2 years.

Reply to
Gini

Lindsey:

Before you do anything, check your house fuse box/circuit breaker box. Check the fuses for the dryer, there should be two 30 amp fuses for it. If you have a circuit breaker box look for two handles tied together with a number

30 on them. Your machine may have just blown the fuse/breaker needing the fuses replaced or the breaker reset (remember to turn the breaker off first then back on.

Reply to
EXT

Consider yourself fortunate. My recent Maytag lasted about 2 years.

Wasn't it Maytag who had the commercial of the repairman who was always sitting around doing nothing? Things sure have changed.

I'm calling around tomorrow to see how much it will be for someone to come look at the fuses inside the dryer. I'm pretty sure that's what it is - I doubt I blew the motor in such a short time. At least I hope not. The washer that I bought at the same time has all sorts of problems - 50% of the time it doesn't do the spin cycle on the only setting that will let me spin at all (the others haven't done the spin cycle in a few years). What a piece of junk this set turned out to be :(

I'm still worrying though - what's to say I won't replace the fuse for about $100 (including the house call) - and 3 weeks later - it blows again. This is something I don't want to be dealing with over and over again, since it's not a repair I can do myself. By the second visit, I would've paid for the new dryer.

Lindsey

Reply to
Lindsey

Thanks for the suggestion. When I opened the door - the light came on so I knew it wasn't a fuse, but none-the-less I turned the circuits off for about 20 minutes, hoping it would "reboot" the dryer. It didn't.

I'm thinking it's the fuses in the dryer. I wish I was handy (and strong) enough to move the dryer and take it apart and check the fuses myself before I called anyone.

What causes the fuse inside to blow? Could it be a clogged vent? The dryer didn't feel hot when I went to check on it - but it could've been off for a half hour so it would have had time to cool off.

I was drying a large, new, thick mattress pad. Would something that large blow the fuse? What's to say it wouldn't blow the next fuse the next time I went to dry it? Which ultimately begs the question: what's the point fixing a dryer that won't be able to dry my mattress pad?

Lindsey

Reply to
Lindsey

Yes, I do believe that's the problem. But as I just posted - what's to say that the fuse won't blow again, the next time I dry something large?

What causes these fuses to blow? Is it the size of what you're drying or something more random?

btw, you must be psychic:). I bought the dryer at Sears and have been thinking of seeing if I can renew my extended warranty - they send me invitations all the time. At least that way if I repeatedly blow the fuse, I'm repeatedly covered (although inconvenienced for sure).

Lindsey

Reply to
Lindsey

The repairman may still be sitting around doing nothing. Potential customers may still have broken machines. They call the manufacturer's service department. The operator tells the caller that a service call alone will cost 50% of the price of a new machine. So the customer buys another machine (another brand that may come from the same factory), and the landfills fill up unless an enterprising used appliance dealer intervenes.

Reply to
Bob