Mains power voltage drop to reduce usage?

Having said that the local pharmacy does see reason if its selling to sensible known people who are need of same!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Please do not remove the groups from the post. Please do not set a follow-up to. I don't read the group you used.

No, I meant the person taking the pill writing up a mark on the calendar each time he/she takes a pill.

Me myself I use the plastic box. And for somethings, I take notes. Not pills yet, but may get there.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

That would be nice, but if she can't figure out which compartment of the plastic box is the right one, I doubt she'll be able to mark the calendar.

My husband and I use plastic boxes. I have one for the pill that I really, really don't want to forget; that goes inside my clean coffee cup, ready for the next morning. My other one (vitamins and whatnot) is deployed when I brush my teeth.

I keep all sorts of lists. Things I want to get done today; things I want to get done this week; groceries that we need.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Oh :-(

Yep.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

That's some "new" standard they invented a decade or two ago. I never figured it out, but I guess it means the effective power radiated to the front. Like, what would be the spherical power that would have the same effect over a person placed just in front of the speaker, which would be highly directional.

Musical watts, I think they called them.

Not related at all to what we were talking about.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Scott Lurndal

No, I have known RMS power since ever and it is not that.

Maybe:

PMPO PMPO, which stands for Peak Music Power Output[22][23] or Peak momentary performance output,[24] is a much more dubious figure of merit, of interest more to advertising copy-writers than to consumers.[25] The term PMPO has never been defined in any standard,[26] but it is often taken to be the sum of some sort of peak power for each amplifier in a system. Different manufacturers use different definitions, so that the ratio of PMPO to continuous power output varies widely; it is not possible to convert from one to the other. Most amplifiers can sustain their PMPO for only a very short time, if at all; loudspeakers are not designed to withstand their stated PMPO for anything but a momentary peak without serious damage.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

IIRC PMPO is a calculated output - peak current through the speaker

-for the mili-second it takes for the cone excursion times the peak voltage output equals the "peak power" output. To get 200 watts PMPO from an amplifier that draws 2 watts of power requires a VERY STIFF power supply - generally comprised, in part, of some HUGE filter capacitors. As long as the power peaks are less than 1/100 - or more likely 1/200th of the total output by time it is possible.

Even RMS it is POSSIBLE to get slightly more output power than the DC power supply input power depending on the frequency and dynamic range of the audio.. SLIGHTLY.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Where does this extra energy come from? The ether?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

About 40 years ago, shops advised 1W RMS = 2W MPO = 4W PMPO. Then PMPO started getting more hazy and is utterly meaningless. I ignore it and look at the power rating plate on the input - a far better idea of how loud it is.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

... and, of course, how load it is depends not only on the amplifier power but also on the sensitivity of the loudspeakers. My (old but wonderful) Tannoy Berkeleys are very sensitive and at anywhere near their maximum handling capacity of 85 watts are absolutely deafening.

85 watts into more modern, compact (but much less sensitive) speakers won't be nearly so loud. (that's all RMS watts by the way)
Reply to
Chris Green

loud! (I fixed most of them but missed that one)

Reply to
Chris Green

My friend is obsessed with sound quality. He took his favourite music into a store and played it to choose a stereo to buy. The one he was recommended by the salesman he immediately dismissed as it sounded distorted when he played heavy metal at full volume.

One thing I disagreed with him on was if it should sound good when turned up to max. He insisted if it overloaded the amp or speakers, the volume control shouldn't go that high. I suppose it makes it more convenient if you don't have to decide where to stop, but it also means you can't turn it higher if you're trying to listen to something really quiet.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes loud! What? LOUD!!! It's too loud to hear you!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Are you familiar with the sine wave?

Reply to
JNugent

Music power is different from RMS in two important ways. Firstly, if you put a square wave into an amplifier with a given rail voltage, you will get twice the power out if it compared with a distortion free sine wave. Guitarists do end up putting what amounts to near square waves in... Secondly the power supply itself may bot be able to sustain full voltage fpor very long, and the music power again represents how the amplifier will handle short duration transients

Naturally since the Numbers are Bigger, that;s what the marketing will quote, except in high end kit where people are more in favour of truth than bullshit, and power supplies are well designed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I know! ;-)

I did my AC circuits theory at technical college.

It doesn't tend to happen nowadays, but back in the 1960s, it was fairly common to see UK low-end guitar amp ads mentioning "peak power" at twice the RMS power. This was a marketing move, of course.

In the USA, RMS was rarely referred to (in fact, output power was not often mentioned by some respected makers, who preferred to talk of "n tube performance" as though every valve contributed to output power) and sometimes even compared peak power with "British watts", presumably trying to make imported Vox and Marshall amps look puny.

Reply to
JNugent

Kinzie familiar with any technical concept??? Not a stinkin' chance!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Wasn't this subject done to death about half a century ago?

Practical Wireless coined the term 'WFT power'.

WishFul Thinking.

Reply to
Joe

Yes but if you're measuring power correctly, you can't get more out than in. Power is power, end of story. I guess you need a true RMS meter.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey