Magnetic cook tops power question

Hi All,

It turns out that my favorite fry pan for eggs is magnetic, soI was looking at a single burned magnetic cooktop. It is 1600 Watts. Power on each crcuit is an issue in my kitchen.

Question: on low, does a magnetic cooktop pulse high on and off like a microwave oven or is it continuous at a lower level. (I fry eggs on low. A pulsed high power might blow a breaker.)

Many thanks,

-T

On Friday, January 20, 2023 at 9:37:31 PM UTC-6, T wrote

Microwave ovens with inverters run continuously although at reduced output. They don't cycle on and off. I don't know about magnetic cooktops.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Put your microwave on defrost and listen. On for two seconds; off for 8 seconds. Microwaves only have one power level. They do defrost and other lower settings by turning the magnetron on and off, achieving an average power.

Doing this with a magnetic cooktop may well blow my breaker

[snip]

Hence the mid-sequence's phrase "microwave ovens WITH INVERTERS" (emphasis added).

While basic units use the on/off fullpower deal, the inverter ones do, in fact, modulate the amount of power.

(asterisk: they do this down to, perhaps, 30 percent. Below that, yes, they have to toggle the on/off switch, but again, that'll be at 30 percent, NOT full).

Maybe, maybe not. Standard commodity circuit breakers _will_ allow a short term higher power draw than their rating. Otherwise every time your refrigerator, air conditioner, wahsing machine, etc., turned on, etc., etc., etc.

Reply to
danny burstein

Slow blow vs. fast blow.

Keep constantly offending a slow blow and it will eventually blow,

A slow blow need time to cool down.

T wrote on 1/20/2023 10:37 PM:

I think induction cooker is pulsing on and off to control power.

I think if your cook pot bottom can stick to a magnet reasonably well then you can use it on an induction cooker. I have found a 1500W and a

1300W on Amazon.com

Try this 1500W.

Read the negative reviews (with one star). Most of the complaints are loud fan and incorrect temperature control. Review says it is pulsing to control power. I think the overall review is reasonably good.

$69.98 Salton Portable Induction 1500W Cooktop, black, single burner

This one has 600W 900W 1300W settings.

The negative reviews complain about the plastic covering of the control buttons peeling off. Maybe some user have heavy fingers? Other complaints are generic ones about fan noise and incorrect temperature settings.

$59.99 NUWAVE Flex Precision Induction Cooktop, Portable, Large 6.5” Heating Coil, Temperature from 100F to 500F, 3 Wattage Settings 600, 900, and 1300w

invalid unparseable

That was true with old microwave ovens and maybe new cheap ones. But decent ones today the heating is continuous and there is no on for a few seconds off for a few seconds. I set mine to 50% frequently, it's continuous. Where you will see pauses is if you select the defrost cycle.

They do defrost

No it won't. Breakers don't trip from a load that is slightly above the breaker rating instantly, it would take a large overload to do that. If it's just a bit above the rating for a second, then well below it for nine seconds, etc, it won't trip.

Reply to
trader_4