Unexpected success, repairing a range hood fan

The range hood fan stopped coming on. All it would do is hum.

I put off working on it, we don't fry much, but I don't like it nagging at me. The websites were mixed on how hard it was, and whether I could get parts for a 60s Nutone fan motor.

The filter snapped out of place just like it is supposed to. Generally a bad sign, things are sure to get worse. And then I notice it's not hardwired. I can just unplug it, no need to flip a breaker. Hmm, 3 screws, 50 years old, what are the chances? 2 came lose easily, one needed a squirt of WD40.

But before I take it out, spin it a bit and see how it turns. Scraps of roofing paper and a chunk of wood dropped. I cleaned it out carefully, plugged back in, and it works. Clean the filter, put everything back together, done.

We had a new roof put on, and some trash must have got in the hood when they were doing that.

Now if I could just get the last bit of burned on food off the cooktop. I spent an hour on it, tried oven cleaner, no luck.

Reply to
TimR

Curious. What is burned on the top and what is the top made of? I too recently did a redo on a Nutone.

Reply to
Thomas

The range hood is a Nutone. The cooktop is a Kenmore, vintage 60s with classic lime green top. I'm not sure what my wife was cooking but it was allowed to burn in, there's a stain about an inch wide surrounding the burner. I got some of it off with oven cleaner. It's now smooth and black. The only known solvent for carbon being molten cast iron - this won't be easy. I might try overnight with oven cleaner though.

Reply to
TimR

Betting the paint is burned. No recovery.

Reply to
Thomas

My nutone rebuild was a thru the wall kitchen vent. I would pay serious cash for the cover. I have seen photos only on places like pinterest. Some UK sites have nice stuff but the US sucks. I am in US.

Reply to
Thomas