Low-e (low emissivity) Coatings On Andersen & Pella Glass Windows ?

Hello:

Regarding the Low-e (low emissivity) coating option that Anersen and Pella both apparently offer on their lines of replacement glass windows:

Do these coatings change the clarity of the glass ?

Still "crystal-clear" with the coating applied ?

Any discernable tint, or glass color changes, apparent at all ?

etc. ?

Unfortunately, none of the sample windows we were able to look at in the stores had the coatings; hence the question.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Interesting that they had none on display. And, I wonder how they hold up to normal maintenance, like being cleaned with paper towels which, no matter what the ads say, tend to be abrasive.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

We got the low-e coating on a set of windows in our home, because we didn't want the sun bleaching our furniture in that room.

You can't really tell a difference between the low-e coating and non-low-e unless the windows are right next to each other.

It's a very very light tint, and I believe the coating is on the inside of the panes of glass, but I can't remember for sure.

If you get a ton of sun and don't have a lot of cover, I'd consider it. Radiant heating can be a bother.

Although I will warn you that if you like to put live plants in your windows, you don't want low-e everywhere. I had a buddy once who put the low-e windows everywhere in his new house and couldn't figure out why all his plants were dying, even though they were in the full light of the windows.

Robert11 wrote:

Reply to
nhurst

A little, kind of and a little.

If you do a side-by-side comparison with untreated glass, you will see a slight difference in the low-e coated glass. Otherwise you would not notice it.

But the low-e coating REALLY does work WELL so it should always be chosen over untreated glass. Hold your hand in front of a lamp, then put some low-e glass between the lamp & your hand & you'll really feel the difference. End result? Lower a/c bills & less fading on paint, fabric, etc.

Another benefit of low-e is that it keeps your house's winter heat in instead of radiating it to the outside. (Heat travels from hot to cold areas)

Also, the low-e coating is on the inside of thermopane glass so it never washes off.

There is no downside to low-e glass.

However, I'd be suspect of any glass dealer that has no low-e windows on display. They are not a novelty item anymore.

Reply to
Bob M.