Low-E Glass and Fading

I have a bay window with low-e glass that I had installed 10 years ago. I have noticed that my curtains have faded somewhat. The curtains are only about 6 years old, and only get sun in the wintertime when there are no leaves on the trees.

Should low-e glass do this, especially after only 6 years. The glass does have a tint, and a sticker on them said low-e, so I doubt they're clear glass.

Just wondering how much UV low-e is really supposed to block.

Thanks.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

You did not say whether these curtains are lined or not. Linings delay fading from sunlight.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

This definition might help:

low-e glass transmits visible light but is opaque to infrared or heat radiation. I suspect UV passes too which would explain fading. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Yes, to the question of whether the curtains would fade in 6 years. Low-e is about heat loss so that means blocking infrared. Window glass transmits a lot of UV and visible light which causes fading of materials. Films that block fading will also block a lot of light. Almost any current especially on a south side will fade rapidly, that's probably why curtain liners are usually/often white.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Low-e usually blocks at least some of the UV that does the damage. However Low-E really means IR block not UV blocking. How much varies. The ones I have seem to be doing a good job, but they have not totally prevented any fading.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan