Looking for ideas to put handle on battery charger

I picked up a smaller 10A battery charger at an auction for $2. It was labelled "DONT WORK". I could see one of the wires on the AC power cord was not even inside the plug. Also it was missing one of the battery clips, and had no handle. It took me 10 minutes to fix the power cord and add a batt clip which I had in my parts box. It now works great!

The handle is not really required, but it is sort of clunky to carry it without a handle. The handle was probably a piece of plastic and they all break after they get old.

Anyhow, there are 2 slots on the top about an inch wide. Spaced about 8" apart. There are fins in between, so it would be hard to attach something like a barn door metal handle. Yea, a piece of thick baling wire would probably work, but I'd like something a little easier on the hands.

Anyone have any suggestions what I can use? Preferably something that costs little or nothing.

I do wish I had kept the nylon horse halter that broke last summer, a piece of that would have worked well, but if I saved everything I'd be buried in junk. And I'm not going to cut up a $15 new halter.....

Suggestions please !!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

If you have a piece of rubber hose laying around, slide that over the bailing wire and use it.

Reply to
Mr. Emann

A couple of appropriately sized nylon zip-ties threaded through some plastic tubing or whatever

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

an old belt.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Replacement auto batteries come with a plastic handle that has tabs...

Reply to
bob_villain

The chargers I've seen, the covers come off easily enough. So you can see where there is air space. Perhaps a leather punch, section of old belt, couple pilot holes and pop rivets with washers?

Or the barn handle and pop rivets, but make new holes not near the fins and lektrik innerds.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's 20 cents an amp.

I got one from Freecycle not too long ago. It said 10 amp and 2 amp and for some reason I thought it meant it automatically switched to 2 amps when the battery was close to being charged, and that's why I wanted it. But it wasn't like that at all. It was two settings.

It also needed a handle and I thought I could take it apart to put one in, but there were no screws, just iirc metal tabs bent over, and I figured if I bent them back and forth, at least some would break off and that would bother somewhat obsessive me.

Then I thought about all the large and huge nylon zip ties I have. Some are three feet long, maybe four. I get them by taking down illegally posted advertising on phone and light poles. And get this, they're pre-bent by being wrapped around the poles. In this case I used an 18 or 22" piece, and it was just the same width as the square holes where the original handle was attached. Pushed it in one hole and like a gopher it popped out the other hole. Pushed the end in the receiver and it won't come out without lots of fiddling. Done.

Some of these ties I get off in one piece, or I stick a small screwdriver in them to release where they lock, but others I cut with Wiz shears I keep in the car, and they have square ends and that's what I used this time.

Several of us, who don't know each other and work independently, keep this area pretty much free of advertising.

Reply to
Micky

Bravo, sir. My father used to be that kind of activist, when I was a kid.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

bob_villain wrote on 11/25/2015 :

It dat rite?

Reply to
DickDangler

Any ranch supply and probably most hardware store have spools of webbing they sell by the foot for a very nominal price. I'd probably loop it through the slots and stitch it with a sewing awl, but the same place with sell matching plastic buckles and connectors.

Reply to
rbowman

I'd damn well ask for Chicago screws rather than sex bolts, but they come in all lengths, have large, flat, heads, and can be unscrewed if desired.

Reply to
rbowman

As I may have mentioned before, Baltimore County passed a law to explicitly authorize everyone to do this.

Once one guy noticed me doing it to his signs, and caught up with me. I was a bit afraid he'd be angry and violent and he was angry but I convinced him his signs were against the law.

He has a school supposedly training nurse's assistents etc. A foreigner. I feel a little sorry for him because he hasn't replaced his signs, while some others keep putting up new ones. But that's the law and the n'hood is not a billboard.

Reply to
Micky

I don't take yard sale signs, and some other categories.

Though there was one that had loads of duck tape all over the light pole and the sign was up weeks afterwards, and the duck tape was goin g to stay on for months, for a community association , and I got so mad I tracked down who was in charge. He didn't give a darn but i felt bet ter.

Reply to
Micky

Sometimes, that's all you can do. But, good on you in any case.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon