Looking for a shut off timer for bath fan

Do they make a timer that can be wired to a switch (bath fan) that only allows the device, once turned on, to stay on for a set time (like, maybe,

1/2 hour)? Then you would have to manually turn the switch off then on again to get another cycle.

If I come home from work and hear the bath fan running one more time from my daughter's shower 6 hours before I'm going to blow a gasket.

Can anyone save the girl from being flogged?

Reply to
Craig Toth

I don't about saving her from being flogged, but they do have timer switches. You can google on - timer switch - of see this site for one.

willshak

Intermatic sells a line of timer switches that can be installed in place of the flip switch. Most hardware stores and certainly Home Depot carry this item.

Reply to
N7RX

I use these for the fans in all the bathrooms in our home. For solving exactly the same problem as yours. Just replace the standard switch with one of these.

They work, as the guys down Maine put it, "slicker 'n snot on a brass doorknob."

go to:

and search for Item # 337311

Now, if someone can figure out how to keep daughters from using up 79 gallons of hot water from an 80 gallon water heater with just ONE shower, I'd like to hear about it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Ah, me too! I tried to tell them how to take a Navy shower (1) when they were smaller, but that didn't work. They still claim to need the water running while they shave their legs and underarms. The wife is not much better, either.

  1. Since the storage of fresh water is limited on a navy ship, it must be constantly distilled from sea water, therefore, fresh water must be conserved. Showers must be short and with limited water use. I seem to remember 2 minutes at most. If you take longer than two minutes or leave the shower running, the guys in line behind you will remind you in no uncertain terms. Wet yourself completely down with the shower. Turn off water. Apply soap and shampoo, then wash yourself with your hands, washcloth, or brush. Turn on water and rinse off . Total usage of water, about 2 gallons. This is actually more efficient than just rubbing on soap while standing under the running water, since the soap will stay on your body longer and therefore clean better.
Reply to
willshak

Hi, Yes. Twist and turn timer. Can find it anywhere. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Jeff I bought a condo near her school and let her live there away from home across the city. Problem solved. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, We do same when camping. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Herbach and Rademan (800) 848-8001

sell a nice $4.95 Navy surplus humidistat, their item number TM89HVC5203, with a

20-80% range, a 3-6% differential, and a 7.5A 125V switch that can be wired to open or close on humidity rise.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

IIRC some of those showers had a "pull chain" valve with a good sized ring dangling down abour head height which you had to pull down to keep the flow on.

Sort of like the "emergency showers" you sometimes see in plant locations where corrosive chemicals might splash on you.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Good idea, while I assume you are still paying for the water and heating energy, at least you don't have to *hear* the shower running for 15 minutes or so and feel the pressure building up inside your head until it feels like you're gonna "lose it" and maybe start a scene you'll regret a short time later.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"Size: 5-1/8 x 2-5/8 x 1-1/8"."

Makes it kinda hard to mount in a standard single-gang fixture box.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I got an intermatic timer that is a regular "box" device. It has a toggle. Up is off, down gives you 15 minutes or so.

Reply to
Greg

They have that kind of thing in hotel rooms. Likely get one at the hardware. Or you can wire it in with the light, so they both turn off at the same time.

But, learning to turn off switches is good maturity lesson.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maturity lesson? Waiting 20 minutes after you finish your business for the smell to clear, and turn off the fan yourself, sounds like a colossal waste of time to me! There are darn good reasons for timer switches. ;-)

Reply to
J T