liquid tight connector to pvc conduit

Aren't there requirements for keeping the low voltage separate from the wiring to power the lights? It sounds like that's what he intends to do.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

How many custom bends do you need to make for this small project? If it's just a couple, like I said, I've heated PVC over a gas stove burner. Gas grill? Or you could use a propane torch. Experiment on a scrap piece.

Reply to
trader_4

Custom Bends: about 8 (and that's before I start digging !)

Reply to
sidwelle

You'll never get it pulled, then, unless you can run sections at a time. Remember the Code 360 rule. That applies to the power run.

While it's not Code, it is very common for industrial specs (like phone and optical) to enforce a 180 rule as even more restrictive given the less forgiving nature of the conductors and that the cable is as somebody else already pointed out, harder to pull.

Reply to
dpb

GEEZER STORY ALERT/

We had to pull coax for the coal analyzer detector head -- a NaI(Tl) scintillation counter. In the days before vendors developed integral electronics it required both a HV (1200 VDC) bias supply and a second signal cable for the preamp input to the multichannel analyzer. We would have customer pull at least two pair if not three for at least one spare.

At one site, the analyzer on the coal belt had to be across large drive area back to the office where the monitor equipment rack was located. It was roughly 100 yds across and had to be buried deep enough large equipment typical of mine wouldn't crush. They ran 3" plastic conduit for the pull.

But, they weren't able to pull it by hand -- being miners, they did the obvious--tied it to the nearest frontend loader and had no problem at all in pulling it.

We weren't on site for the prep work; when went for final install of the sources and startup/calibration, all seemed fine. Left it operational and went home (mine in middle E-KY, office in E TN about 3 hours drive thru the mountains). Lasted until first rain and lost HV. Had them try the spare -- it worked and were back on line. That lasted about a week until next rainy spell. They had only pulled two, so that was the end of it until figure out what happened.

Service call proved was dead short on both HV cables and one of the signal cables and the second signal cable was degraded.

They were unable to pull the existing cables back out; dug up the near end to the shack down to the elbow (about 3 ft). They had pulled so hard/fast with the endloader had melted thru the conduit and welded the cable in place...had to re-run the whole installation...this time made sure they did it so the cable could be pulled...

The new cables lasted the 7-8 more years I was still in TN...it's now been another 20 almost since...now idea if the mine is still operational, even.

Reply to
dpb

If your area’s building codes are that similar to the NEC, yes. Stuff like 120v low voltage phase A is black, B is red and the 3rd phase is blue. 277v Lighting voltage is phase A Brown, B orange and C yellow. Fingernail polish or tape of those colors is allowed when the wire isn’t showing.

Reply to
mogulah