linoleum repair

I've just had my wood floors refinished. Unfortunately, in the process, the boneheads gouged my linoleum floor and spilled varnish on it. Does anyone know whether a gouge can be filled? I'm talking here about real linoleum, not vinyl. Also, the gentle cleaner one is supposed to use doesn't take varnish off the surface. Any ideas on that one?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Reply to
ccs>ikyr

JillAdams

I thought linoleum hadn't been made in decades.

Reply to
Art

Frankly, I wouldn't let them anywhere near it again and they don't work with linoleum.

Reply to
ccs>ikyr

I haven't seen linoleum in about 50 years :o) Having never repaired it, I would first try to make the gouge lay flat, if it is displaced, by GENTLY heating it and pressing it flat. If it is just a small cut, try acryllic paint mixed to the color of the linoleum to fill the cut. I dabble in art, so fixing booboo's is something I have a little experience with.

What kind of varnish? How large an area? If it is oil based, I would try scrubbing with soft cloth dampened with mineral spirits, and test on an out of the way area first. Formula 409 is good for water based paint spills, even after they have dried but not cured completely. The varnish might soften or bond with the surface finish, so I would be careful with any attempt at removing it.

Congoleum used to make linoleum, I believe. Here is a link to the "contact us" link:

Norminn