Fancy wood tile?

Need floor covering for my rental. Saw some 1 ft square fancy wood tiles in Home Depot. From $0.79 to $2+ per sq ft. Lower cost ones need plastic lamination, $0.25 a sq ft. About the same as cheap carpet and padding. But even cheap ones supposed to last 15 years up. Also, I can bring them in my car a few boxes at a time, no expensive delivery needed as I need for carpet. Anyone try these? Comments? Need and additional adhesive for wood tiles or lamination? I assume a quite clear smooth floor needed to mount on.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

| Need floor covering for my rental. Saw some 1 ft square fancy wood tiles in | Home Depot. From $0.79 to $2+ per sq ft. Lower cost ones need plastic | lamination, $0.25 a sq ft. About the same as cheap carpet and padding. But | even cheap ones supposed to last 15 years up. Also, I can bring them in my | car a few boxes at a time, no expensive delivery needed as I need for | carpet. Anyone try these? Comments? Need and additional adhesive for wood | tiles or lamination? I assume a quite clear smooth floor needed to mount | on.

Fancy wood? I've never seen 1'x1' wood tile. could it be vinyl composite with a wood look? A link might help.

Presumably they get put down with mastic or are self-adhesive, which means you'll need to first install a secure underlayment of at least

1/4" plywood over the existing floor.

How fancy is the apt? There really just isn't enough info to decide whether it's a good idea. One other thought: If you want the rental to look nice, have you looked at floating wood floors? They can go right on top of an existing floor, are relatively easy to install, only raise the surface about 3/8"-1/2", and provide a floor of real wood. The downside: They're made of wood veneer laminated to plywood. Once the plastic seal wears down there's no choice but to replace them. By contrast, a real wood floor can be sanded and refinished.

I'd be very wary of the newer laminate tiles, with a plastic surface of color or fake wood grain. They look crappy. They are crappy. Like walnut grain contact paper, psychedelic wall paint, and pink shag carpet, it's a classic case of the emperor's new clothes: Everyone's doing it so it seems to make sense, but at some point the trend fades and you're left with the result: Purple walls and pink shag carpet. :)

Reply to
Mayayana

Are you talking about parquet? Pieces of wood maybe 1" wide hooked together into 12" x 12" squares?

If so, I had some in a condo years ago. Don't recall how they were put down but it was on a slab so must have been mastic. They were teak, lasted fine for the 16 years we were there; that was 25 years ago and they are probably still fine.

The only negative thing is that they tend to dent; not mine but I recall them in various offices and they looked like someone had been turned loose with a ball peen hammer. That was because stilleto heels were in vogue with women then and even a little lady exerts lots of force on a 1/4" or 1/2" heel.

Reply to
dadiOH

"Mayayana" wrote in news:nj409q$5j3$1@dont- email.me:

Went back to Home Depot. Stuff is laminate 5" + x 4'+ vinyl strips. No adhesive needed besides plastic laminate. Or so I understand. Description says 15 years residential use. Far more than cheap carpet and I can lay it.

Reply to
KenK

KenK wrote in news:XnsA61F75C56EB47invalidcom@130.133.4.11:

I'll take that back. Laminate part is, I believe, correct but not sure about the "vinyl". Descriptions in store not very clear and, as usual, no salesperson around.

Reply to
KenK

Well, that certainly explains all of those dents in my back! I was wondering where they came from.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Go to homedepot.com and look them up. If you are still confused after reading the description, post the link back here so we can take a look.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This sounds like engineered wood flooring Basically T&G 3/8" plywood with a picture of pretty wood on top. Pergo is a brand

Reply to
gfretwell

| > Went back to Home Depot. Stuff is laminate 5" + x 4'+ vinyl strips. No | > adhesive needed besides plastic laminate. Or so I understand. | > Description says 15 years residential use. Far more than cheap carpet | > and I can lay it. | > | > | | I'll take that back. Laminate part is, I believe, correct but not sure | about the "vinyl". Descriptions in store not very clear and, as usual, no | salesperson around. |

It sounds like the hard plastic laminate, similar to countertop laminate, which I think is used as a floating floor. Personally I think it looks junky, but if you like it there shouldn't be any problem putting it down. I've never used the stuff, but I'd guess it uses a a pad and just snaps together, like floating floors. Note, however, that you'll need to deal with edges. Either take off the baseboards or plan on quarter round moldings. With a wood floating floor it's only those perimeter pieces that hold it in place, and it needs room for expansion. The plastic laminate panels are probably done the same way.

Reply to
Mayayana

wouldn't Laminate be better than Rugs - Longer term?

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

That's what attracts me. Especially for a double-wide rental.

Reply to
KenK

| wouldn't Laminate be better than Rugs - Longer term? |

I don't know. I'd be concerned about the look. Where I live everyone wants wood floors. But I know nothing about where KenK lives, what his rental looks like, or what income range he's targetting.

Reply to
Mayayana