Li-Ion batteries

But due to it's differing voltage, it was never intended as a direct replacement, but to power new devices that wanted more voltage, such as LED torches.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

My torches only take 18650. I see no point in a frame to allow you to give it 1/3rd of the voltage.

My head torch is 18650 (two of them, for some reason in parallel, so I can choose to only use one battery).

Reply to
Steven Watkins

His god realises he's got dementia. Best to quietly nod your head and leave the room when those sort witter on.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

But some arent idea with 18650. There are in fact one hell of a range of LiIon cells of various sizes and if it wasn't for the problem that LiIon doesn't work well in the smaller diameter cells, it does make sense to use an existing very common cell size.

Reply to
Rod Speed

They do in fact take those carriers with AA batterys in them which end up the same size as a 18650 even if that carrier was not supplied with the torch.

It isnt 1/3 of the voltage, the carrier takes 3 AA cells.

Irrelevant to what some head torches do.

Reply to
Rod Speed

More likely his god has noticed that he's in with the devil.

Doesn't work, they follow you and keep twittering on.

Look at that Peeler f****it sometime, he follows you everywhere even if you ignore him completely.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The aa size are not litium ion if they are direct replacements for Nimh because lithium ion are 3.7 volts, not 1.25 or 1.5

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yes, but Nicd didnt destroy themselves in the process

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But that problem is significant. And a single 18650 fits very well into a pocket torch or anything else I can think of except a mobile phone.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Only if the torch is designed to take 1.2V. Unless you mean to fit 14500 LiIons?

3 AA cells would not fit in the space of an 18650! Or do you mean AAA?
Reply to
Steven Watkins

They're not DIRECT replacements, but....

In my camera which takes 4 AA NiMH, I can put in 1 LiIon, 1 NiMH, and 2 blanks. Then when I go on holiday, I take half the number of spare batteries with me.

My electric toothbrush takes 2 AA NiMH. I put in 1 LiIon and 1 blank. This runs the motor a bit faster, which was my intention as it cleans my teeth much better.

My room stats take 2 AAs. But they fail to work properly with NiMH, and only like Alkaline as they need 3V, not 2.4V. They work fine with 1 LiIon and 1 blank.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Not just mobile phones, tablets are too thick with those. Same with wireless mice and keyboards.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Wrong. The carrier takes more than one AA and that fixes the voltage problem.

Nope, no point in those, as you said. In spades when the torch will take an 18650.

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Never known an NiMH get "destroyed". Only 10 year old ones that get tired.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

I'd forgotten about tablets, as I think they're a pointless invention. Who wants to scrape their finger around on a piece of plastic all day?

Those use so little power I just stick alkaline in them.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Show me one of those adapters on Ebay for example, then explain how it breaks the laws of physics. Obviously you can't get 2 AAs end to end in there. And you can't get 2 beside each other, let alone 3. The dimensions of the 18650 are simply not enough to fit more than 1 AA inside.

In fact, you couldn't even get 3 AAs inside the fatter 26650 LiIon shell.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

More fool you.

Those who use them don't. And the screen is glass, not plastic, stupid.

I do recharge mine. The keyboard has a fixed liIon inside, like a tablet. The mouse has an AA that I recharge in a charger, with an alternate.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Teenagers and odd folk like you.

That explains why my neighbour keeps breaking hers. They should be plastic.

I did that at first then realised they last so long I might aswell use an alkaline. Same goes for wall clocks.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Wrong, as always.

Not possible to do touch screens with that capability that way.

That's stupid. Its easier to recharge than ensure you have more alkalines.

Nothing like it time wise. And I'm not stupid enough to have wall clocks anyway.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I hardly see anyone with tablets. In fact I only know of two people with them.

Er.... my phone is plastic.

Alkalines come in packs of 10 usually. I just buy another pack when I only have a few left.

ROFL! You made a pun.

And actually my clocks use an AA Duracell about twice a year each, my mouse is the same.

Handy to be able to see the time just by glancing at one. In fact there's a huge one (3 feet across) to my right, very quick to see on an analogue clock the rough time by the angle of the hour hand.

Reply to
Steven Watkins