Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

rote:

e market (Sony

s output HD at

nterlaced 1080i

I've already post that info. And you can't do a quality test in a Best Buy....get real.

Reply to
Ron

than

Or on any TV up to 50" depending on how far away you are sitting from the TV.

Reply to
Ron

I think one big factor here that hasn't been mentioned is he is apparently relying on BestBuy's statement of what the sources were. Given that the typical floor person there is clueless or worse, who knows what the real sources were for what he was looking at.

I bought a 50" Sony Bravia LCD at Circuit City a year ago. The salesman asked me if I needed cables. I had the answer already prepared: "I already have HDMI cables." Whereupon he takes me over to the Monster cable rack and shows me a $80 HDMI cable and tells me that since the Sony is 120hz, unless I have new cables, it won't work. Of course, there are two big problems with that. First is that the 120hz is the refresh rate of the display and has nothing to do with the HDMI interface or cables. Second is that even if it did involve the cable, the idiot must think that 120hz is some super high frequency that requires special cable. Or more likely, he's out to collect his commission and just lying.

As I was paying for my TV, an elderly man was buying a 27" TV and the salesman got him to take the Monster cables. I bet the cables cost a quarter or a third of what the TV cost. And the profit they made on the cable far exceeds what they made on the TV.

So, who knows what they would do in a store to push a specific model TV that has a spiff in it for the salesman.

Reply to
trader4

Many people can't readily tell the difference between a page of text printed at 600 dpi from one printed at 1200 dpi. Other people see a big difference.

Claiming that there is no difference between 720p and 1080p because YOU, or even thousands of people, can't tell the difference, is just foolish talk. Maybe you just can't see as well as other people, or maybe you just aren't as critical a viewer.

A small diffence may be all that matters to people who want that small difference, because they appreciate the slight extra measure of quality.

Reply to
snotty

You can't really judge TVs in a typical mass merchant store, unless your living room has similar lighting.

Manufacturers of all televisons have a preset for the picture called "vivid" or similar, that is universally known as "Torch Mode". It is a preset where everything is cranked way up, so the picture still looks like something when displayed under a few billion watts of florescent lighting. It is not a setting that should be used in the home unless you are awaiting cataract surgery. Televisions in stores are set to torch mode. You aren't seeing anything that can be fairly or accurately evaluated.

Reply to
salty

Yeah, and all of the reviews I've read agree with me. At best the difference is minimal, and not noticeable with the human eye.

Reply to
Ron

At least we can agree on that....must be a sign of the Apocalypse.

Reply to
Ron

My motto when in stores: Don't trust nothing what eats

Reply to
LouB

Clearly you are blind. I have a sony 1080p tv. I can easily tell the diffference between a blu ray movie at 1080p and any of the lower resolutions sitting in our family room.

And there is a big difference between i and p. There are many advantages to the progressive scan signal and the only downside is bandwidth. The whole reason finterlaced was invented was to reduce bandwidth. It creates also of byproduct issues that we didn't care about back when the picture sucked anyway.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Oh, so you have a 720p TV sitting right next to your 1080p for comparison while viewing a Blu-ray with the same source material.

You obviously haven't read what I wrote. Try again.

Reply to
Ron

You said;

"I have a 50" Panasonic 720 Plasma. My neighbor has a 50" LG 1080 Plasma. We both sit about 11 ft away from our TVs. There is NO noticeable resolution difference, period. Sounds like you bought the Best Buy sales pitch."

I'm watching the same tv at different resolutions. And at 1080p the picture is clearly better than at 720p.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I have good eyes and maybe thats why I saw a big difference on a 47". But also the quality of the tv may have been part of the equation. Now on 3d you are completely off , to get the optimal 3d experiance a 1.4

- 1.7 x the distance of the tv width for viewing distance is needed, That means you sit close. And on 3d, DLP rule the ground. I cant stand

3d on Led tvs, to much studder, it gives me a headache in 10 seconds.
Reply to
ransley

I know what I said. I'm talking about the SAME source on a 720 vs 1080 TV. I NEVER said that a 1080p wasn't a better source than

720p.........sheesh.
Reply to
Ron

The only difference between my neighbors and mine is that my Panny has better black levels.

Take a Panny 50" 720 Plasma and a Panny 50" 1080 Plasma that are equal models (expect for the resolution of course). Hook them both up to a Blu-ray player with the same source viewed from 10 ft or father away and there will be no noticeable difference.

Reply to
Ron

Excuse me, but I thought the OP came here precisely for the reason of asking what other people thought and what their experiences had been. As for being a critical viewer, if you do a bit of googling you will find plenty of actual side by side comparison testing done by credible authorities in the AV world that will agree with what I and Ron and many others have said. Particularly since the OP is talking about a 32" TV, not a 50" one.

Then I guess the OP should set up a blind testing lab, because that's the only way he's going to be able to see if he can actually tell the difference. Somehow I don't think he's gonna do that, nor does he appear to be an AV enthusiast concerned about a small potential difference.

Reply to
trader4

Opinions are not facts. That needed to be pointed out.

There is a factual and scientifically supportable difference between

720p and 1080p. The fact that you either can't tell the difference, or don't think it is important, are subjective opinions, not objective facts.
Reply to
snotty

And I suppose you can hear an audible difference between coat hangers and Monster Cable, right?

Reply to
Ron

Not even slightly true.

Judi Haffner

OK, post this scientific evidence that says that the human eye can distinguish the difference on the same brand of TV with the only difference being that one is a 720 and the other is a 1080. Using the same source, and from a distance of 10-12 ft on a 50" or smaller screen.

Reply to
Ron

Again, it depends on the viewing distance!!!!!! What is so hard to understand about that?????

Reply to
Ron