Leaking toilet/cartridge replacement

I've got a toilet with a "pressure-assist" tank. Instead of just water filling the tank, there's a self-contained unit in the tank. It's been leaking from the actual flushing mechanism.

It seems I need to replace the flush cartridge. I've unscrewed it and examined it and can't find any leaks, but I'm not sure what else to do that replace it.

Does anyone have experience with these cartridges? I went to the local plumbling store and to HD, and both looked at me like I was crazy.

So I want to order a cartridge off the internet, but don't know if they are universal or interchangeable or what.

On the inside of the tank is stamped: American Standard 4086 Tank 2 M93

The tank inside the tank has a model number M-101, Flushometer Tank C

285247.

I guess I'm asking which cartridge I can order. Are they universal?

Thanks

Reply to
Grip

------------------------------------- Marco They are not in my experiance universal. Most are made by SLOAN and will need to be purchased at a Plumbing specialty company. You will need the mo # as there have been versions some even by Kohler. They are about

25.00 and there are a couple other parts that should be done at the same time
Reply to
mfrencher

I didnt see that you posted the mo# I should read more carefully. Flushometer is a SLOAN product and the cartriges are available @ numerous online outlets like plumbingparts.com etc. My best advice is to also purchase the air intake valve at the same time. Be aware that the cartrige is adjusted by how far you thread it down into the tank some can be quite sensitive on this aspect. Be extra sure you need a cartrige and not a vessel (the black tank) as they dont come together. If you need a vessel I suggest you purchase a whole new top tank from your local wholesaler. For the cost of that you could by a whole new toilet that takes $14.00 to rebuild. I would say 80% of my customers opt to change these units out rather than deal with the maintenence issues.

Reply to
mfrencher