Leaking flapper valve

I am getting a deposit on my flapper valve over time and it is causing it to leak.

If I clean it the leak stops.

It is a dark reddish color.

I think it is an iron deposit. And there is also some sand deposits also.

Any way to slow it down or clean it more easily ?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Whole house water filter or possibly a water softener would get rid of some solids. Fine rust can wear faucet washers quickly. When I moved into this house I'd change the Delta seals every six month and after adding a sediment filter they went for 20 years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a well and a whole house sediment filter which picks up iron and grit. Some things deposit over time, so it is not a complete cure. You could put one in yourself and I only need to change filter every 6 months for a few dollars.

Reply to
Frank

Frank:

You mean a few HUNDRED dollars. We have an e-Spring water filter under our kitchen sink, and replacemenf filters currently go for $450 a pop.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

What makes it better than the $10 carbon filters I use? I use maybe 2 or 3 a year.

I see it is an Amway product. My water would have to be really bad before i spend $1100 for the setup and $450 a year instead of $30.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Of course some water treatment system can cost 50K grand like my friend's well water coming from 250 feet down. What is the 450.00 a pop filter made of? Does it have gold lining or some thing? Some one needs to have their head examined.

Reply to
Tony Hwang